Collision domain clarification

tomrandztomrandz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm completing my latest computer networking assignment and have a task to count the number of broadcast and collision domains within a few different examples. I feel comfortable doing this but I'm unsure about a small section of it. Just wanted some clarification if I have got the right idea, any help would be appreciated.

The part I'm unsure about is the top right hand side where there is 2 switches connected to the same hub, do I still count that as one collision domain or do I count it as 2?

collision.png

Also if there's any I've missed, feel free to point them out.

Tom

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Think about it this way...if PC17 sends a frame, which port or ports on HUB5 will send the frame out?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • tomrandztomrandz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It will send out on all ports?
  • tomrandztomrandz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone clarify this for me?

Tom
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go back to the OSI model. What separates collision domains? Only some form of layer-two device. There is no layer two device separating the PC and two switches from each other.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    4 collision domains and 1 broadcast domain for the LAN at the top right hand corner.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sizeon wrote: »
    4 collision domains and 1 broadcast domain for the LAN at the top right hand corner.
    No, OP is not referring the the four PCs and switch in the upper-right. He is referring to the hub below that switch which is connecting those two switches and a PC.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    oh, that would be 1 collision domain and 1 broadcast domain
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Maybe I'm trying to make this too simple, but the way I remember it is that routers and switches via VLANS break up broadcast domains. Routers, switches and bridges break up collision domains. And remember that links between these devices will also count as a 'domain'. So if you connect 2 switches directly that is a collision domain.

Back to the picture - the portion where you have 2 switches connected with a hub in the middle would all be one collision domain - and it would be part of a much larger broadcast domain.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The easiest way to look at it is this:

1. Always ignore a hub. it provides no function of breaking up anything. It just repeats everything it hears.
    2. Every port on a switch is on a different collision domain
    3. Every port on a router is on a different broadcast domain AND different collision domain.

If someone starts bringing up VLANs, then those are broadcast domains, but you won't likely encounter a tricky query like that. However, in a straight forward diagram with layer 1 (hub), layer 2 (switch) and layer 3 (router) devices, you should be able to know what's going on with the collision and broadcast domains.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    sizeon wrote: »

No, there would be 5. Each PC 12 through 15 is it's own collision domain, and the link back to Hub5 is an additional collision domain, which also includes PC17 and the other switch that's attached to the Hub.
    i was talking about the LAN connected to the switch not the hub.