Options

Should I forward congratulation emails to my manager

phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
Hi folks, I'm working in a call centre as a Helpdesk and I received an email from a client congratulating me on my good work and my effort. Should I forward it to my manager or just keep it for me?

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phaneuf1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm working in a call centre as a Helpdesk and I received an email from a client congratulating me on my good work and my effort. Should I forward it to my manager or just keep it for me?

Simply reply to the person thanking them and copy your boss in. Works for me.
  • Options
    xxxooxxxxxxooxxx Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Simply reply to the person thanking them and copy your boss in. Works for me.

+1. Excellent advice.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't forward it to my manager. To me, you're clearly trying to point out your successes to your boss.

What I would do, have done, and have been told to do by my manager back in my helpdesk days, is thank the customer for their kind words and encourage them to send all feedback, positive or negative, to the appropriate address (hopefully not your manager's direct email). Your organization would do well to implement this as a policy and directly encourage clients to provide feedback through the appropriate channel.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I wouldn't forward it to my manager. To me, you're clearly trying to point out your successes to your boss.

What I would do, have done, and have been told to do by my manager back in my helpdesk days, is thank the customer for their kind words and encourage them to send all feedback, positive or negative, to the appropriate address (hopefully not your manager's direct email). Your organization would do well to implement this as a policy and directly encourage clients to provide feedback through the appropriate channel.

That approach works as well. But it is important you make sure your success comes to the attention of not only your customers and peers but also your boss from time to time. Just dont overdo it!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    That approach works as well. But it is important you make sure your success comes to the attention of not only your customers and peers but also your boss from time to time. Just dont overdo it!

One of my help desk buddies was getting a bunch of these emails. He was asking them to send a note to the big boss. After awhile she just toned them out.

The boss said something that has always stuck to me...you can do 100 great things...but you'll only be remembered for that one ef up. Between that and "IT is a thankless job..." I pretty much was under the impression that the boss will use those "Your employee is so excellent" emails for toilet paper.

I don't necessarily subscribe to this way of thinking...but I know it exists.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's true; it completely depends on the manager. But with that sort of manager, you don't want to work in that environment for long anyway.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    One of my help desk buddies was getting a bunch of these emails. He was asking them to send a note to the big boss. After awhile she just toned them out.

The boss said something that has always stuck to me...you can do 100 great things...but you'll only be remembered for that one ef up. Between that and "IT is a thankless job..." I pretty much was under the impression that the boss will use those "Your employee is so excellent" emails for toilet paper.

I don't necessarily subscribe to this way of thinking...but I know it exists.

You dont want to be one of those blatant people with this sort of thing because people talk. But if you get some great feedback for something significant it pays to pass it under the beak of the higher ups from time to time. Just not everytime. While it's true that people tend to remember the crappy things that happen, it's also true that having some good form sailing past the nose of your boss once in a while can assist you. Work is a mean street and when things get rough and people grumble, as they sometimes do, its no good simply refuting it in an apprasal and telling your boss about all the good work you do if he hasn't got a clue. If he has sight of it periodically, it will balance things more in your favour when things get difficult from other quarters.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    These pay off big time, but remember the value of the person that sent them. The person that sends them everyday pretty much means crap. The guy person that sends one when the customer was ready to walk and only said negative things means 1000x more.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »

I agree with this 100% Although as others have said, might seem excessive if you keep pushing this every time someone tells you "good job".
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    This is encouraged by my supervisor. And she emails the group and CCs the director when they come in. However, everyone pretty much does it once in a while. I assume when it's something exceptional. I do it even less as most of my "support" is via phone calls and the other staff here have a different role in my office (non-IT.)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???