Options

customer support engineer - need Sql knowledge ??

android123android123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am hopeful to get an interview for a customer support engineer with a local software company. i currently work in desktop support (2nd line). desperately want to leave and move into more of an App support role.

I feel that i tick a lot of the boxes on the job description -' knowledge and use of helpdesk management software', 'knowlege on Windows platforms ' although there were a couple of areas i said i had experience - but to be honest thats just from doing a lot of study lately.

competence on Sql,
good appreciation database technologies - oracle / MS Sql

were the 2 things i said i had basic knowledge on.

i think this may be more of a 1st line role, attempt a fix and escalate where neccesary, as its getting away from PC Support im really keen,

anyone know what sort of level of Sql experience they may be after - or what that role could entail??

thanks
Andy

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    android123 wrote: »
    ...anyone know what sort of level of Sql experience they may be after - or what that role could entail??...

Could be anything from installing SQL to backing it up to running SQL commands, best bet is to talk to the company themselves.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    It's generally going to depend on the company but at the least they're probably looking for someone comfortable in SQL with creating and running queries, probably Stored Procedures, probably working with clients or internal users on resolving SQL related issues, and etc.

Most of the time I see positions that are SQL oriented and not a DBA it will generally include some of the items they want. Were they pretty vague in the job posting/description?