Options

Preparing for CCNP.......Advice?

jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
For those of you currently preparing for the exam or have already obtained your CCNP, what study materials did you use to prepare for it? Currently I have the Official Certification Guide by Cisco Press. What other sources would you recommend? In line with my goals at work, I'm trying to follow this timeline:
ROUTE - April
SWITCH - July
TSHOOT - October

I think it's totally doable, but since I'm doing self-study, I just want to make sure I give myself the best chance of learning the material and passing the exams on the first time.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I used INE, and Chris Bryant and lots and lots of GNS3. For the Tshoot portion I did buy the book but found them worthless for the actual sim, the best way is to lab and lab and lab. I used Boson Tshoot as it was already setup and the goal was for Troubleshooting.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    INE, CBT Nuggets, Foundation learning guide and loads of labs
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'm currently using the Bryant Advantage for CCNP.

I have access to most of the Cisco Press library through Safari Books Online (via work).

I read through the Route guide already, and I'm going back through and building my own labs for the scenarios he presented in the book.

I also have a separate doc where I'm sticking any notes for "gotchas", that kind of fell by the way side, once I got so into this trying to make the labs. Nothing beats seeing things in action, or figuring out what you left out when you're trying to do this stuff yourself.

So far, I've made 14 out of a projected 61 labs to go with the book. There could be more of less of these, as I combined some topics together. I might make a posting on my attempt for it, once I get all of my labs made. I won't consider myself serious for this test until I get a good set of labs made first. I know that there are multiple labs out there already, such as Narbik, or CCNP Lab Manual, etc., but it works better for me if I have to kind of make it myself. After I get all the labs made, I figure to repeat them a few times, until I can do them all from memory, without looking at the configs.

I plan to supplement with RFCs and reading from cisco.com. I can't promise it, but I think I once or twice saw an exhibit on an exam that came from their site. Could have been a coincidence, dunno. There might just be only so many ways you can draw small topologies.

The main disagreement I have with your plan is putting "TSHOOT" so far out. It's supposed to be a re-hash of skills you used in the first two. At most, a week or two after you do SWITCH is what I would recommend. If you watch the tutorial of the TSHOOT exam, it's not that hard. I think Keith Barker put it on youtube.

Here's the table of the labs I've made so far:
    Labs:

01 - Floating Static Routes in Action (p. 12)

02 - Propagating a Default Route with RIP, IGRP, and No IP Routing (p. 16)

03 - IP Helper Addresses (p. 1[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]

04 - EIGRP - Configuring (p. 25)

05 - EIGRP - Autosummarization (p. 32)

06 - EIGRP - Bandwidth, Delay, Maximum Paths (p. 40)

07 - EIGRP - Packet Information, Adjacencies, Hello Packets, and Secondary Addresses (p. 42)

08 - EIGRP - Administrative Distances Part 1:  Internal vs External (p. 62)

09 - EIGRP - Automatic and Manual Summarization the mystery of the AD5 (p. 63)

10 - EIGRP - Subinterfaces, Stub, and Passive Interface (p. 69)

11 - EIGRP - Default Routes and Authentication (p. 7[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6030959/uploads/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif[/IMG]

12 - OSPF - Link State Basics, RID Selection, and Network Types (p. 86)

13 - OSPF - Troubleshooting Adjacencies (p. 115)

14 - OSPF - Stub and Total Stub Areas (p. 122)

Right now, they have the configurations inside them, step-by-step.

When I go back through, I'll duplicate them, except take out all of the commands, then I can reference the originals as a "solutions guide" kind of thing.

Here's one of the labs, as a sample: (I need to double-check on the Task 10, as that seemed to be the case, but I didn't find a reference to support it.)
    11 - EIGRP - Default Routes and Authentication

Setup:

2 Routers

Connections:
    R1 F0/0 - R2 F0/0

Note:

Initial Configuration:

R1
    en
    config t
    int f0/0
    no shut
    ip address 12.12.12.1 255.255.255.252
    int f0/1
    no shut
    ip address 11.11.11.1 255.0.0.0
    int loopback1
    ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
    router eigrp 12
    no auto-summary
    network 12.12.12.0 0.0.0.3
    network 11.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
    network 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0
    exit
    exit

R2
    en
    config t
    int f0/0
    no shut
    ip address 12.12.12.2 255.255.255.252
    int f0/1
    no shut
    ip address 22.22.22.2 255.255.255.0
    int loopback2
    ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255
    router eigrp 12
    no auto-summary
    network 12.12.12.0 0.0.0.3
    network 22.22.22.0 0.0.0.255
    network 2.2.2.2 0.0.0.0
    exit
    exit

Task1:  Verify the EIGRP routes:

R1
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 2: (Redistribute Static)  create a default route on R1 pointing to F0/1, then redistribute static, set bandwidth to 500, delay to 150, reliability to 255, load to 1, and MTU to 1500

R1
    en
    config t
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f0/1
    router eigrp 12
    redistribute static metric 500 150 255 1 1500
    exit
    exit

Task 3: Check the EIGRP routes

R1 
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 4:  Remove earlier settings, and use the all 0's network instead

R1
    en
    config t
    router eigrp 12
    no redistribute static
    exit
    exit

Task 5: Check the EIGRP routes

R1 
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 6:  remove the all 0's route and use default-network (use a network that doesn't exist)

R1
    en
    config t
    no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f0/1
    ip default-network 123.123.123.0 
    exit

Task 7:  Check if any routing tables get affected

R1
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 8: Remove the previous network, and use a network that exists on your R1

r1
    en
    config t
    no ip default-network 123.123.123.0
    ip default-network 11.0.0.0
    exit

Task 9:  Check if any routing tables get affected

R1
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 10:  NOTE:  Except that the interface is configured as CLASSFUL on R1, it won't propagate as a candidate default route to R2

Test this:

R1
    en
    config t
    int f0/1
    ip address 11.11.11.1 255.255.255.0
    exit

Task 11:  Verify that the statement from Task 10 is true

R1
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

R2
    sh ip route
    sh ip route eigrp

Task 12:  MD5 authentication

R1
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string love
    accept-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 1993 infinite
    send-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 1993 infinite
    int f0/0
    ip authentication mode eigrp 12 md5
    ip authentication key-chain eigrp 12 EIGRPNEIGHBOR

R2
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string love
    accept-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 1993 infinite
    send-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 1993 infinite
    int f0/0
    ip authentication mode eigrp 12 md5
    ip authentication key-chain eigrp 12 EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    exit
    exit

Task 13:  Check the key chain

R1
    sh key chain

R2
    sh key chain

Task 14:  Modify the key string on one router

R2
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string SPIDERS
    exit
    exit
    exit

Task 15:  Verify the key chains

R1
    sh key chain

R2
    sh key chain

Task 16:  Fix the key string

R2
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string love
    exit
    exit
    exit

Task 17:  verify the key chains

R1
    sh key chain

R2
    sh key chain

Task 18:  Modify one of the lifetimes to a future value (check your router's clock using "sh clock" to determine this value)

R2
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string love
    accept-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 2014 infinite
    exit

Task 19:  Verify the key chains

R1
    sh key chain

R2
    sh key chain

Task 20:  Fix the key chain on R2

R2
    en
    config t
    key chain EIGRPNEIGHBOR
    key 1
    key-string love
    accept-lifetime 10:00:00 Jan 1 1995 infinite
    exit
    exit
    exit

Task 21:  Verify the key chains are valid again

R1
    sh key chain

R2
    sh key chain

Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am using the CBT nuggets, Routing/TCP Vol I, the lab manuals and the CCNP FLG Library.

I also agree with instant that tshoot should be about a week after Switch.
  • Options
    jwashington1981jwashington1981 Member Posts: 137
    Schedule TSHOOT "immediately" after SWITCH?

I've been looking into The Bryant Advantage. The price seems good considering it's material for all 3 exams. With each test of the CCNP being $200, I'm trying to spend on only necessities to prepare for the exam so I don't spend myself broke trying to obtain this cert.

Also, I have two Cisco 2600 series routers at home. Is 2 routers enough to perform many of the concepts presented throughout the books?
  • Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i don't want to start another thread and i'm gonna ask for advice on my preparation materials list in this one

Routing TCP IP, Volume I (2nd Edition)
    Routing TCP IP, Volume II
    OCG
    FLG
    IPv6 Essentials (2nd Edition)
    Internet Routing Arquitectures (2nd Edition)
    Cisco LAN Switching
    TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1
    CBT Nuggets
    GNS3 + switches that i plan to buy (2 3550 and 3 2950 it's what i have in mind)
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Also, I have two Cisco 2600 series routers at home. Is 2 routers enough to perform many of the concepts presented throughout the books?

No. I would say at least 3-5. You could probably do it with two (with a ton of loopbacks and a healthy imagination).
    angel.oa wrote: »
    i don't want to start another thread and i'm gonna ask for advice on my preparation materials list in this one

Routing TCP IP, Volume I (2nd Edition)
    Routing TCP IP, Volume II
    OCG
    FLG
    IPv6 Essentials (2nd Edition)
    Internet Routing Arquitectures (2nd Edition)
    Cisco LAN Switching
    TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1
    CBT Nuggets
    GNS3 + switches that i plan to buy (2 3550 and 3 2950 it's what i have in mind)

IMO that was way more than enough material. I personally think that the FLGs, parts of Routing TCP vol I+II and CBT nuggets would be enough. I also think you have enough switches.
  • Options
    laclac Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for SWITCH as my first exam and this is what I'm using.

2x3560s
    2x2950s
    INE
    OCG
    SWITCH Simplified (don't let the name full ya, LOTS of info, even has labs at the end)
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNP-SWITCH-Simplified-ebook/dp/B00528J3P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326303651&sr=8-1
    Boson Ex-Sim
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Schedule TSHOOT "immediately" after SWITCH?

I've been looking into The Bryant Advantage. The price seems good considering it's material for all 3 exams. With each test of the CCNP being $200, I'm trying to spend on only necessities to prepare for the exam so I don't spend myself broke trying to obtain this cert.

ROUTE would be difficult to pass with only 2 routers...

This is reposted from here : http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/73285-wendell-odoms-ccnp-build-list.html
    I am all for using actual gear but I decided not to for ROUTE for several reasons (i've got a full MPLS capable lab at work with a 32 port console server attached)

1) Flexibility - You can get away with 3 or 4 routers for ROUTE but with some difficulty. To really grasp the advanced routing concepts, it's helpful to build topologies with 5-10 routers or even more in some cases and for me it was a more efficient use of study time to drop routers onto a grid and drag a link between them and spend the time used hooking them up to actually study the concepts. ROUTE (unlike SWITCH) does not re-use topologies very often. If you lab from the FLG, you may spend an entire day re-cabling to lab your way through 5-10 pages.

2) Mobility - I saved many many hours by being able to pop my laptop open as I had time and work on a new lab or continue an existing one. Remote access to your lab can solve this problem partially, but you are limited to whatever topology you have cabled.

3) Diversity - Unless you have a wealth of hardware at you disposal, you will be able to work with more advanced technologies than some of the low-end EBAY stuff is capable of.

SWITCH is a whole other deal but the topologies remain pretty consistent so it's not as big of a deal and 4 switches will suffice.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember though for ROUTE you can use GNS3. I don't think I actually used my 2600/2600xm routers at all for my ROUTE studies - it was totally done in GNS3.

Switch on the other hand.......
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno