Options

Destroy my resume

jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to have my resume looked over and critiqued by the techexams communitytech.doc
ICND1 Test Apr 23

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Tons of wasted space. You don't have nearly enough experience to warrant a 2 page resume. You need to get it down to 1 page. Proper formatting will probably do this for you.

Remove all of the "Employment Type", it isn't necessary.

I am not a fan of the thick black lines separating everything, very distracting. Because they go all the way to the edge of the page, they make it look even more like there side margins are way too big.

There's a bullet dot that is larger than all the rest, it should be the same size.

Margins are too big/things are indented too much.

IMHO, bullets should only be used to highlight accomplishments. Paragraphs should be used to show responsibilities. Others may not agree with me on that, but I've had great success doing it that way.

Another thing that I'm sure may be more personal preference than anything, as there's no hard rule on this... I think bullets should have punctuation. I know you can go either way with them, most important thing is that they are consistent (i.e. if you punctuate one, punctuate all). I think it looks more professional, and is a little easier to read if you do use punctuation.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I concur with Everyone. The black lines gotta go. Same with employment type. Also, have you considered a Professional Summary? For the Masters if it is not too far away I would go with an expected graduation date. This shows a concrete and tangible goal. "In progress" could be 4 years down the road.

It could be my eyes but one bullet looks bigger than the rest (Provided instant results...)

In regards to experience as Everyone suggested, I am also a fan of a short paragraph describing duties followed by a few bullets with key accomplishments. Be careful when claiming savings. "Provided a process to save $1,000 per month in unnecessary expenses for the company" doesn't really tell me anything. Tell me how you did it. "Implemented a new ticket and asset tracking system..." this is your chance to show value by improved response time, etc.

And you don't provide processes. "Developed, introduced and implemented" would've been better words. Finally, I would drop some of the older gigs.

Don't forget that any techie can administer stuff. However, not everyone can deliver value. Your mission with this resume is to show how you have delivered value to your past employers and you are ready to do the same for the next one.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Excellent advise from both Everyone and Cyberguypr. A great foundation of items to fix and then a fantastic overview of how to communicate your value to a prospective employer.

For "Employment Type" your trying to explain shorter work periods (June '06 - Dec '06, Etc.), right? What you might try doing is ditch the whole "Employment Type" line and add "Contract" to the date to those contract positions (e.g., "Contract: January 2006 – June 2006").

A personal preference, you might want to create a 3 column table for the company and date so that you can justify them one to the left and the other to the right. Then go in and remove the table border. I think that makes the experience move consistent looking.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness