70-680 and 70-686 worth it?

AU5AU5 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would love to better my understanding of Windows, but how helpful are these certs from an employer's perspective? I don't really have a specific career path at the moment. I'm currently working in a desktop support capacity.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AU5 wrote: »
    I would love to better my understanding of Windows, but how helpful are these certs from an employer's perspective? I don't really have a specific career path at the moment. I'm currently working in a desktop support capacity.

Since you are in desktop support, I would go with the 680 and 685 exams. That will give you the MCITP: Enterprise support tech cert. If you add the 686 after that, you'll get the Enterprise Desktop administrator cert.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 686 exam is more suited to someone interested in imaging & deploying Windows 7 computers in a corporate environment. The exam is focused on on the setup, development & deployment of Windows 7 using their imaging software (WAIK, MDT). It also touches on SCCM and, strangely, group policy. I was surprised at the amount of GP on the exam.

The 686 makes a good stepping stone into the realm of server admin or a gateway into SCOM/SCCM and other management tools for large networks.