Options

Interview Today.

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
Lab Engineer, Microsoft.

Familiarity with Cisco routers and switches.
Familiarity with Windows Server 2008 R2 hardware troubleshooting and software troubleshooting.
Rack management, cabling and electrical experience.
NLB and Microsoft Clustering is a bonus.
Lab experience.
Testing experience.
Scripting from an administrative POV (Powershell 2.0, VBScript, Batch)
70% Testing on campus, 30% Test and Deploy tasks to different groups/buildings/campuses.

Current Position: The operations/datacenter level of all of this at a hospital.

I got a call back 5 minutes after the phone interview requesting an in person interview the next day.

SO!

Any technical tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated.

I've been cracking my books all day reviewing anything and everything applicable.

So nervous.
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Was the phone interview the technical interview, or just the initial screening? From my experience interviewing with them for PFE positions, their process usually goes phone screening then technical interview then face to face with hiring manager.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    darkerz wrote: »
    Lab Engineer, Microsoft.

Familiarity with Cisco routers and switches.
    Familiarity with Windows Server 2008 R2 hardware troubleshooting and software troubleshooting.
    Rack management, cabling and electrical experience.
    NLB and Microsoft Clustering is a bonus.
    Lab experience.
    Testing experience.
    Scripting from an administrative POV (Powershell 2.0, VBScript, Batch)
    70% Testing on campus, 30% Test and Deploy tasks to different groups/buildings/campuses.

Current Position: The operations/datacenter level of all of this at a hospital.

I got a call back 5 minutes after the phone interview requesting an in person interview the next day.

SO!

Any technical tips, advice, etc. would be appreciated.

I've been cracking my books all day reviewing anything and everything applicable.

So nervous.

Good luck. An interview after sticking to your guns and not allowing the agency to contact your current employer. For lab work they are generally looking for someone who is hands on who can put things together to simulate environments to meet testing requirements. Any experience you have of testing try to get across.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Things eventually worked out.

Interview was great. Until I was asked to make a script from scratch for a task I've never done before. No technet, books, templates, examples or internet allowed. Just myself and the prompt. Figured out the job was huuugely script based. I could tell, the server and network question and scenarios were very basic, I often found myself wondering if I was going to face anything other then a pegged interface or a shut down service.

Again, recruiters suck. They wanted a Script/Automation Monkey who could figure out basic Server +/ Network + level tasks. Whilst at my current work place, I just re-did out security specs for distribution and core area OSPF interfaces and was part of a VMWare 4.0 to 5.0 roll out (Mass VDI's, thin clients, clustering, hot stuff).

I think Lab Engineer is aiming too low. In the end, being purely objective, Microsoft or not it was a step backwards.

I think it's time to finish the B.Sc, CCNP and then look for a Network Engineering gig. It hit me that my interviewer knew far less about what the datacenters heterogeneous purposes are, and far more about how to write code to push out hotfixes in a test environment.

On the other hand, F5 Networks in Seattle, WA contacted me today.

Interview Monday.
    :twisted: