Options

How do you get remote access to your home network?

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I posted this on another thread but I didn't want to go any further into (since it would be off topic). I want to know how the people of TE get remote access to their home networks. Strictly SSH or RDP? SSL or IPSEC VPN? How about something like a covert channel? Many a combo or something I haven't listed. I would also like to know if you are using windows or linux (if the solution is operating system specific).

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My Home network is really small. I have a Cisco 877W which is only connected to an HP Microserver and its IPMI.

From the Office I have a permanent IPSec VPN (SonicWall <> Cisco 877) but what I normally do is establishing a simple PP2P VPN with my iphone to power on the Microserver (using some IPMI app) and shut it down too when needed (some other app which uses the RDP protocol).

I am about to leave my company here so I will be using mainly PP2P - I am not bothered as no device in my home is on 24/7 .. all "serious" stuff is colocated at a datacenter with a Sonicwall in front of it ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just use SSH and use tunneling if I want to access another PC on my home network (RDP over SSH).
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i use vpn and vnc/ssh past that

for my file server/vpn server i use Clearos ... its nice very nice

ClearFoundation develops ClearOS, a Linux Network, Gateway, Server

then i have a firewall before my router but all thats just the normal stuffs
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just use a PPTP VPN, but I am considering changing that to SSL VPN. And nearly everthing is on Windows.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ssh into my Fedora box or I RDP into my Windows VM, which happens to be on my Fedora machine.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does any do dual-factor authentication?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Does any do dual-factor authentication?
    For home? No. I was in on the ground floor of PKI (smart cards) with the DoD, and started trying to implement it at my last job (private non-profit hospital). I used an RSA token at another job. Huge overkill for home. I guess if you just really really really want to learn about it, maybe.

Since I work at home, I don't remote into my home network. :P I have thought about enabling the VPN features on my pfSense firewall, but haven't gotten around to it. I haven't had any real need to be able to get into my home network when I'm away from it, so there hasn't been motivation to setup the VPN.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just RDP right now. I want to buy a nice DSL modem with with VPN and wireless router integrated, or I might go with pfsense.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SSL VPN via Astaro Security Gateway. Just an old P4 box.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I use a few different methods. Straight SSH where allowed, SSH tunnels for most everything else where direct access isn't allowed. RDP over SSH to get into my windows boxen, X Forwarding over SSH for some of my graphical applications, and NoMachine (which runs directly over SSH) on a few servers.

My home network is a healthy mix of Windows 2003/2008 boxen, Debian boxen, CentOS boxen, and FreeBSD boxen. I like to keep things diverse in order to look at how different operating systems affect traffic flow, as well as to keep myself from getting terribly complacent (Debian makes me a lazy, lazy admin)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what kind of PDU's do people use to power on/off switches etc?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    RDP for me. I use dd-wrt on my router and have a VPN setup for work.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LogMeIn. I'm happy to setup a "proper" solution for a client, but for my limited remote access needs, LMI is really convenient. I also install it on the few family members' computers I willingly support periodically, so I have any system I should need in one account.

I used to use RDP forwarded from my firewall.

I just use a PPTP VPN, but I am considering changing that to SSL VPN. And nearly everthing is on Windows.
    I'm assuming you're aware of PPTP's inherent vulnerabilities, but I have to mention it anyway, if only for those who aren't aware.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I have a regular Linksys router and have a $10 domain name through GoDaddy. Then I use portable Bitvise tunneler which uses SSH over RDP so I can then RDP to my home machine through a SSH tunnel. Easy, portable and secure. I use it everyday from work to my home network.

I will make the comment my IDS here where I work can see that I am tunneling over SSH but since I am the security guy at my company it is all good :) MY IDS can't see any of my traffic except the connection itself.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    At one point I had an OpenVPN setup on a laptop running Ubuntu (free for 2 SSL connection licenses), however I have had to put that laptop to use, so I no longer have outside access. It's not usually necessary for me, since I'm now on disability... I'm home all the time. :D
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SSL VPN on Windows and OS X. YubiKey 2-factor.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SSH to a Debian laptop. Wake on LAN to bring up my Windows PC.

Thinking of migrating to VPN when I finally get my Cisco 877 on the line as opposed to the current, ISP supplied router.
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SSH to my Linux box. For my Windows box I have to use WOL and then RDP.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S