Am I ready?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was originally going to take ICND1 before christmas, but I got so busy with work and personal life that I had to put it off for a couple of weeks. Since then I've been studying and labbing like crazy. My subnetting isn't quite 100%, but if I look at a subnet I can tell you what the bit notation is and can figure out the IP ranges within 20 - 30 seconds on paper.

I have configured my lab for T1 connectivity and Serial connectivity. Created routes through 5+ routers and configured my switches with a management IP, disabled some ports and using port security on most of them.

I think I have all the practical work done, now just to go back through my books and make sure I know OSI 100%. I know how to make cables and which cables are used for what purposes.

I have also configured my 1710 to connect to my home modem, setup NAT, DHCP and IP configuration within CLI.

So, do you think I'm ready to sit the exam? Baring in mind I haven't done any practice exams as most of them are pretty ridiculously priced. I have been reading Todd Lammle's book (7th edition), at the end of each chapter you take a little quiz. I answer most of those around 90 - 95%.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Well I haven't taken the test, but it sounds like you've put a good amount of work in studying. Good luck to you!
    Never stop learning.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have to ask, you probably aren't. I'm a firm believer against practice exams, takes the fun out of it. Go ahead and take the test, a real test. By the time you take practice exams, you might as well take a real test - and you can't really simulate the anxiousness of taking a test.

Im a bad test taker (ask my math teachers). I can tell you, that's actually a fun test. It 'seemed' fair enough. There weren't vague questions, or questions that could be true, or answers that all of them were right. You know, the tricks of the trade.

the one thing I can suggest is labs. My fiance told me I said commands in my sleep - if that is a part of how much I've ran the lab simulator.

I never really had any direct "Subnetting" questions. Questions made me use subnetting to figure out problems, like ranges for maybe a host that's using a broadcast. I had a feeling for a month I was ready. there wasn't a doubt in my mind.

You know it or you don't. But when you go, you've got us behind you cheering.

Yes, I dare say just like the Urinal scene from "Waiting...".
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Based on what you've written, I would say you are ready. The ICND1 wasn't that bad (in my opinion). If I were you, I would read through the exam objectives, item by item, and gauge how you feel about each bullet point. If you're comfortable, go for it. There have been several exams that I have way overstudied and, while that's not a bad thing, it's not necessary to score 100% on every exam.

Regardless, good luck with it.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    sounds like its time to give it a try. maybe do some few more days with subnetting, every minute you can save in the exam by beeing able to do subnetting gives you time for the question where you really have to think.

there is nothing worse then having to watch the clock run out in an exam ...
    And then, I started a blog ...