Simple Question regarding CCENT/CCNA test paths

cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm sorry if this question seems simple but I am completely new to the Cisco field and just trying to find my bearings on where to start. On the Cisco site, the CCENT certification is one exam, the 640-822 ICND1. The CCNA is exam 640-802 CCNA, or if I'm reading this correctly, 640-822 ICND1 & 640-822 ICND2? So my questions are if the two exams are taken and passed to achieve the CCNA, is it worth taking both of the ICNDs or just studying for the CCNA exam? I'm not sure what the difference is, but the books on Amazon I'm looking at list either CCNA or CCENT/CCNA and considering if one of the exams is half of the CCNA, how much of a difference does the ICND2 make? Sorry for the simple question but the Cisco world is a new foreign language to me (I'll ask sometime later just what the differences in hardware are, I'm completely clueless when looking at what to buy but I'll wait till I read into some of the books before I go down that road), and just looking for an answer from the many experienced Cisco users on the forum. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    this question has been discussed a million times i guess and it always depends...

taking the ICND1 & 2 road worked better for me because i had not much experience with cisco gear when i decided to
    get my ccna. you can focus on getting the basics right and not having to worry about the "complicated" stuff.

when i think back i guess taking the composite exam would have totally broken my neck because there is so much stuff to learn if you are new to the cisco world that it would take a lot of effort to get on a level where you might pass. another nice thing is that you get a huge motivation boost after you pass ICND1 and receive your first cisco cert in a nice letter ;)

on the other hand a lot of people tend to take ICND1 and then take the composite exam to minimize the more complicated ICND2 stuff ... but in my opinion thats kinda gutless.

if you say you are completely new i would suggest to get going with ICND1 - if you start to study and you feel everything is just coming easy to you you can still switch tactics and go for the big one.

but trust me - very few new to this world want to get even more stuff on the plate if they are ready to take ICND1...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Martell. I have browsed the forums quite a bit (especially on the hardware lists, still trying to figure that out) and just couldn't seem to find exactly what I was looking for. So your advice is to go with the ICND1 and if its to my liking/competence level, shoot for the ICND2 (or straight to the CCNA). That's not a bad idea, but I think I'll take the route you did with the ICND1, pass that and then go for the ICND2 (instead of CCNA to only answer half the amount of questions relating to the topic, like you pointed out). It would beneficial I'm assuming to take the ICND2 if it especially pertains at all to any CCNP objectives. Thanks for the response and your time.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Route 1: ICND1[/COLOR] (Pass = CCENT Certification)
    > ICND2 (Pass = CCNA Certification)
    Route 2: CCNA[/COLOR] (Pass = CCNA Certification)

You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to ICND2 (640-812). Two Exams total.

You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to CCNA (640-802). Two Exams total.

You can also take the CCNA (640-802). One exam.

I like to look at it this way: To earn a CCNP, you need to (now) pass 3 exams (ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT). For passing one test you don't earn any certifications, you pass two of three you don't earn anything either, you earn CCNP only after passing the third test within the alotted time.

To earn your CCNA, you need to pass 2 tests. But you get a CCENT certification for getting one right. It's the instant gratification of getting something for a Good job. A carrot for passing.

I'm not sure if you'll get a "CCENT" Certificate if you just pass the composite CCNA. For all intents and purposes if you have the CCNA, you show you know what the CCENT certification persons know. So really, saying you have the CCNA and CCENT is like saying you have the CCIE Route and Switching and you list CCNP, CCNA, and CCENT. Pointless space fodder.

It's beneficial to have a foundation of knowledge of how this whole networking works. It pertains to CCNP as that all the information builds on each other. Best way I can describe it is taking the ICND 1, passing it and then read over ICND 2, then look back on ICND 1.

It's fun. Learn to really love it. Get your hands deep into it and realize that yes - this is a cisco vendor. But at the same time, you're learning something that's powering lives around the world. When I think about all that i've learned so far and realize "I complain when I don't get my bank's website within a couple seconds" I should be thinking "Im glad you got here at all!". It's mind blowing! Damn, I just got myself all excited to do another round of Labbing! I just got chills down my spine.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to ICND2 (640-812). Two Exams total.

You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to CCNA (640-802). Two Exams total.

I like to look at it this way: To earn a CCNP, you need to (now) pass 3 exams (ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT). For passing one test you don't earn any certifications, you pass two of three you don't earn anything either, you earn CCNP only after passing the third test within the alotted time.

To earn your CCNA, you need to pass 2 tests. But you get a CCENT certification for getting one right. It's the instant gratification of getting something for a Good job. A carrot for passing.

I'm not sure if you'll get a "CCENT" Certificate if you just pass the composite CCNA. For all intents and purposes if you have the CCNA, you show you know what the CCENT certification persons know. So really, saying you have the CCNA and CCENT is like saying you have the CCIE Route and Switching and you list CCNP, CCNA, and CCENT. Pointless space fodder.

It's beneficial to have a foundation of knowledge of how this whole networking works. It pertains to CCNP as that all the information builds on each other. Best way I can describe it is taking the ICND 1, passing it and then read over ICND 2, then look back on ICND 1.

It's fun. Learn to really love it. Get your hands deep into it and realize that yes - this is a cisco vendor. But at the same time, you're learning something that's powering lives around the world. When I think about all that i've learned so far and realize "I complain when I don't get my bank's website within a couple seconds" I should be thinking "Im glad you got here at all!". It's mind blowing! Damn, I just got myself all excited to do another round of Labbing! I just got chills down my spine.

Nope, you don't
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

I think its only:

You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to ICND2 (640-816). Two Exams total.

NOT: You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to CCNA (640-802). Two Exams total.
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • cownaetioncownaetion Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NOT: You can also take ICND 1 (640-822) pass it, then head to CCNA (640-802). Two Exams total.

I'm getting confused here. So if you take the ICND1, your not allowed to jump straight to the CCNA 640-802? I don't think I'll go that route anyway, but just would like to know. Thanks for the responses and after reading Martell's and Rogue's post, I'm gonna study first for the ICND1 and not even think about ICND2. This will at least let me focus also on learning what hardware I will need and not buy equipment for labs I do not need yet (though this would be a waste of money cause I should buy equipment only once that will work for all but I just sold my new computer I never built and got a little over $1k to slowly spend for the stuff).
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Yes, you could take the composite CCNA exam after ICND1 and receive the CCNA designation. However, the ICND1 is pointless in that path because the composite CCNA would have done it for you by itself.

The composite CCNA exam is just the contents of ICND1 and ICND2 combined. If you're new to Cisco and/or in depth networking, I would go the 2 exam route. It spreads the material out and gives you less to digest per exam. It costs the same whether you do the 2 exam or 1 exam route as well.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    the only reason for people to take ICND1 and then the composite is if they are freaking out because of the ICND2 topics. by the way this path would cost you more.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the only reason for people to take ICND1 and then the composite is if they are freaking out because of the ICND2 topics. by the way this path would cost you more.

Like you said, gutless. :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams