Options

My first 2 weeks

I posted a few weeks ago about getting a new job (well at least think I did). The job is basically being the 2nd hand person for a small outfit working on various things. The first week or so was torture and I really thought I got into something that was over my head. With the great help of some users on this forum I got my self threw a 2003 SBS to 2011 SBS migration. Overall I think I'm going to have about 3-4 small business that I will be managing their complete IT infrastructure with various things thrown in to fill the time. My boss said I far surpassed his expectations. Today he called me to his office and handed me a very nice bonus. He was like good job on everything, here take your wife out for a good dinner this weekend.

After the first week I was about ready to quit, I'm glad I stuck through and didn't give in. I think this job it going to be a great learning experience. The pay is low but my boss said he'd take care of me and the way it seems he is keeping to that. My goal was to get into networking but hey things change and looks like I'm going to server admin work. I'm still going to finish my CCNP then get my EA.

Good luck to everyone else still looking for work.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Awesome. Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I posted a few weeks ago about getting a new job (well at least think I did). The job is basically being the 2nd hand person for a small outfit working on various things. The first week or so was torture and I really thought I got into something that was over my head. With the great help of some users on this forum I got my self threw a 2003 SBS to 2011 SBS migration. Overall I think I'm going to have about 3-4 small business that I will be managing their complete IT infrastructure with various things thrown in to fill the time. My boss said I far surpassed his expectations. Today he called me to his office and handed me a very nice bonus. He was like good job on everything, here take your wife out for a good dinner this weekend.

After the first week I was about ready to quit, I'm glad I stuck through and didn't give in. I think this job it going to be a great learning experience. The pay is low but my boss said he'd take care of me and the way it seems he is keeping to that. My goal was to get into networking but hey things change and looks like I'm going to server admin work. I'm still going to finish my CCNP then get my EA.

Congrats on your new job!! I have been looking for work, but I haven’t had any luck yet. I get the interviews, in fact I feel my resume and cover letter are in great shape, but I just don’t get any offers after the interviews. I think it’s my lack of experience, or my inexperience that is holding me back.
    The last two interviews seemed pretty long. One interview was an hour with the IT manager, and the other interview was about that long, if you include all the tests I had to take.

I had a volunteer position, but I think it dried up. The organization merged with another and the volunteer coordinator got laid off, it was a weird experience for me, since he emailed me his resume, mentioning he was looking for work. I just thought he would be there until he retired.
    I found another volunteer position as a computer lab assistant at an organization that uses Deep Freeze software. The software lets you install anything and then just erases it after a reboot. At least this is my understanding of it. I think it uses system restore, but I’m not sure.

This year I want to do the following:
    70-680
    70-685
    Comptia Health Care Technician
    not sure after that…

I really hope I can find an IT job in 2012…I have seen some contract to hire jobs, but I’m sort of scared to apply for those, because what happens if the contract if over and they don’t want to hire me? I need a steady income. I hope 2012 is the year I get hired.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    The trend continues: WGU grads make everyone else look bad in comparison! :)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

In a new job, your first pieces of work can be daunting and stressful, particularly if it's something challenging and new. Keep at, keep working hard, work long hours, be careful and avoid issues with people.