Options

My first 2 weeks, anyone experience this kind of work environment?

I started a new job about 2 weeks ago. Here is a little description in regards to the work environment:

1. Arrive at work anytime within a specific time slot (anytime from 9-10am)
2. I work in a small team with 5-6 members. None of my coworkers or my manager say "Hi" or "Bye". I am assigned to do a couple of stuff without a deadline in my first two weeks. I feel isolated. Everyone else on the team appears to be doing individual work without coming over to my desk or other people's desk (unless it is important). Manager walks by my desk and doesn't say anything. There are some days where I don't even go to my manager or colleague at all (they don't even see my face). No body tracking me. I could be away for the entire afternoon and nobody will notice. Nobody comes by and ask if i am OK or not....and i'm still new!!
3. I do ask questions and go to my colleagues (since i am new) but i feel like i am bothering them.

This is not a helpdesk or troubleshooting job. It's an analyst job. Anyone work in a similar work environment before? The job is good and high-pay. But, I want to work at a place where I feel part of a family or at least feel part of the team. Before this new job, I worked in helpdesk and I miss the interaction/social talks in between phone call breaks with my colleagues. Is my new work environment normal?

Comments

• Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    You're not the only one! This is very common. Going from an operational role to a project based role is a major shift. In the last year I've transitioned from everyday troubleshooting to never having to log into a device anymore. It is certainly an adjustment and not everyone gets accustomed. I have struggles with it from time to time. When I was in operations I wanted out, but I do miss it now. I'm hoping with time I'll develop more direction but my early career in IT is certainly going I path I did not anticipate. I still feel like I'm "on the grind" so it doesn't bother me too much. Either way, I always remain grateful to be employed which is most important at the end of the day.
  • Options
    baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am not the only one who went from help desk (taking phone calls, log everything into HEAT application) to analyst (back-end role without interacting with colleagues and clients). The adjustment is really tough right now. Sometimes I want to stand up and talk to the person sitting next to my cubicle.

When I was working in help desk, I REALLY WANTED to get out ASAP and work in the back-end.

Now that I got a back-end role, I kind of miss the help desk environment. I'm kind of lost right now as to whether I'm a person who likes to interact with people or not. I don't even know who I am anymore. I like interacting with people (team-work) but I also suck at socializing...doesn't make sense right? At the same time, I want to do back-end work because I don't like dealing with customer complaints all day. I'm still exploring...
  • Options
    bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Give it a little time and you'll get more comfortable with your new co-workers and they will get more comfortable with you. Starting a new job is always a bit awkward. And if it doesn't work out, stick it out for a while, get that experience and move on. At least your not being micromanaged :)
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I haven't seen my boss or any co-workers for 6 months now. :P

Think back to the job description and interview... was importance placed on the ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only see my boss once every three months, which is when he is in town. Some places put trust in you to be an adult. Now, the remaining part about the team... I dunno... I have never really been in a place like that. That would bother me.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I started a new job about 2 weeks ago. Here is a little description in regards to the work environment:

1. Arrive at work anytime within a specific time slot (anytime from 9-10am)
    2. I work in a small team with 5-6 members. None of my coworkers or my manager say "Hi" or "Bye". I am assigned to do a couple of stuff without a deadline in my first two weeks. I feel isolated. Everyone else on the team appears to be doing individual work without coming over to my desk or other people's desk (unless it is important). Manager walks by my desk and doesn't say anything. There are some days where I don't even go to my manager or colleague at all (they don't even see my face). No body tracking me. I could be away for the entire afternoon and nobody will notice. Nobody comes by and ask if i am OK or not....and i'm still new!!
    3. I do ask questions and go to my colleagues (since i am new) but i feel like i am bothering them.

Perhaps you are bothering them? They may be used to people being hired straight in and working, not in need of training. So, some environement simply don't take kindly to a new person asking how to do their job. Now, if its a question about where the toliet is or where the lunchroom is located, then that's an orientation issue, but then again, those items aren't typically difficult to find.

So, yes, I've been in that environement, both as a new person and one dealing with incoming new people. Basically, when you interviewed, if they didn't stress they were hiring your for your skills and expect you to hit-the-ground-running, I'm not certain to tell you. Your co-workers will respect you when they see you can produce results. If you are showing (the attitude) that you could disappear and no one would notice, you are likely correct and they would probably be glad you left (and no offense on this comment). Simply, there are teams who work so well together, they don't want a new person messing up that cohesion. Either jump in and fit in or they'll wall you out.

This is not a helpdesk or troubleshooting job. It's an analyst job. Anyone work in a similar work environment before? The job is good and high-pay. But, I want to work at a place where I feel part of a family or at least feel part of the team. Before this new job, I worked in helpdesk and I miss the interaction/social talks in between phone call breaks with my colleagues. Is my new work environment normal?

Cool, you have a real 'grown-up' job!

If you want that touchy-feely-family stuff, I suspect you'll struggle in this environement. Personally, I love the type of environment you describe. Everyone WORKS! Keep the gossip, Back Stabbing, and nonsense out of the work place. I don't care who watched the 'hot' tv show last night (we don't own a tv). I don't care how someone's kids are doing (particularly when I'm on the clock). IF it is lunchtime small-talk, that is one thing, but I've been in environements where the family/kid stuff distracts from the job and everyone ends up working longer and longer days to get things done.

If it is not for you, good for you for noticing, but yes, those jobs do exist and I'd say you are lucky you found one (if you can handle that environement).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am in that situation now and I miss my old jobs where people do chit chat and you make friends with people. It makes the day go by quicker. Now there were times when screwing off got out of hand but in a SOC sometimes there are days that once you check on things there is nothing to do.
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i am in that situation too right now and i am getting out in less than 2 weeks to go to my former IT lifestyle which is troubleshooting,implementing and configuring devices. I love operations far more than back end. i don't get to log on to equipment at all and that will kill my skills. How can someone become a CCIE by just shutting and unshutting switchports? Once i get bored at what i do, i'll leave because when employers get tired of you, you are gone the next minute
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    1. This is normal. This type of freedom is awesome.

2. You are in training! The coworkers don't come over because you probably aren't doing similar stuff. You are working on tasks without deadlines just to get your feet wet. I normally don't say "hi" or "bye" unless I'm working directly with the person at the time.

3. Training someone else = bothering someone. As long as they are answering your questions in a professional manner and you don't feel weird asking them questions, just keep asking. People are busy.