Passed ICND1 today!!

matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
first post on the forum, first cisco cert.. this place is pretty great, very useful. Just wanted to post my experience. aside from the fact that to testing center I took the test at was I really a crappy office and the man at the front desk had a very strong accent that I could really understand.

The test went well I got a 899 and needed a 805 to pass so that felt good :)

I had 3-4 direct sub-netting question (must know it really well, but you have more then enough time if your not that quick)
3-4 sim question all of which where not to bad (so dont worry to much like i did) show ip int brief was helpful (hint)
no fill in the blanks
2-3 drag n drop
OSI/TCP, cables, network devices where everywhere. you need to know
DNS,DHCP, RIP etc where on there as well
Know how switches and routers work (mac-table and packets)
very little configuring mostly show comments
I used Packet Tracer to get used to CLI, CCENT for dummies(GREAT BOOK idc what people think), CBT and Signal Train vid to prepare

I felt like I had more the enough time to finish, good experience
CCNA here I come (if my school courses are not to intense )

Any question I will try to respond
Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP

Comments

• Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! Good luck on part 2. One thing about it, don't let ICND1 lull you into a false sense of security. ICND2 is harder by a fair bit. Not trying to spook you, just giving feedback based on my experience in the last couple months. After I passed 1, I felt like it was too easy. 2 definitely snapped my perspective back into reality. Anyway, congrats again.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up, I've heard to same thing. definitely going to study hard for it :)
  • kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I am taking my ccent exam soon and just wondering how much time you spent studying before you took the test.

I havent tried picking up ccent for dummies, but other dummies book proves to be helpful.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!!

The ICND2 is very very tough. It goes into more information on some things from the ICND1.

Don't forget that you can't break the NDA such as telling how many questions of what you had on the test.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    matt333 wrote: »
    first post on the forum, first cisco cert.. this place is pretty great, very useful. Just wanted to post my experience. aside from the fact that to testing center I took the test at was I really a crappy office and the man at the front desk had a very strong accent that I could really understand.

I had 3-4 direct sub-netting question (must know it really well, but you have more then enough time if your not that quick)
    3-4 sim question all of which where not to bad (so dont worry to much like i did) show ip int brief was helpful (hint)
    no fill in the blanks
    2-3 drag n drop
    I used Packet Tracer to get used to CLI, CCENT for dummies(GREAT BOOK idc what people think), CBT and Signal Train vid to prepare

Thanks for sharing your testing experience and I'm glad that you passed by a good bit of points.

I'm taking my test this Monday and I'm starting to get pretty excited for it.

A few questions concerning the questions..

First, I've heard that occasionally Cisco will limit what you can type in the Simulator questions? For example, would they let you use Show Run or Show Start or did they block those? I've heard you should always know more than one way to get the information you need on the CLI.

Second, were there alot of specific questions pertaining about cables? I understand Cisco wants you to know when to use a straight through, crossover, rollover cable, serial cable, etc. but are they very stringent on memorizing all the IEEE names, cable lengths, etc. for all the different kinds? Like 100BASE-TX = Fast Ethernet / IEEE802.3.u, 1000BASE-T = Gigabit Ethernet, 1000Mbps, IEEE802.3ab?

^That is the kind of things that scare me as it's pure memorization and I haven't spent a lot of time memorizing all that. It's hard enough for me to try and memorize all the well-known Port Numbers lol.

Anyways, hopefully you don't think these questions are too specific as I'm not trying to break the NDA. Just trying to gauge how serious Cisco is at memorizing things like cable information/terminology.
  • mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you take the test in the Porter square office by any chance????
    Btown here too! i'm going in for the test come febuary!
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mguy wrote: »
    Did you take the test in the Porter square office by any chance????
    Btown here too! i'm going in for the test come febuary!

I DID :) not the best testing center ive been too...

@ciscoman2012the sim said if you could not use show run or show start definitely know different way of getting the same info ...
    My ccent exam wasnt heavy on memorizing cable just know the basics(cable types and what 802.3xx stands for) icon_cheers.gif
    Port numbers too.. know the main ones
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Congrats! Good luck on part 2. One thing about it, don't let ICND1 lull you into a false sense of security. ICND2 is harder by a fair bit. Not trying to spook you, just giving feedback based on my experience in the last couple months. After I passed 1, I felt like it was too easy. 2 definitely snapped my perspective back into reality. Anyway, congrats again.

Im preparing for that. I don't want to be caught off guard by my lack of understanding and memorization. Also, for what I'm aware of, CCIEs also go through a fair more information that covers what we've learned for the ICND1 and ICND2... for those who want to reach to the "Insane Experts" :P

I'd rather over study and when I go back over the items - for CCNP or more... I'd like to atleast just have to "refresh" not so much "Learn". It's why im re-reading the ICND2 book and taking better notes. It'll push the date up but oh well.

Congratulations on the CCENT! :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I DID :) not the best testing center ive been too...

@ciscoman2012the sim said if you could not use show run or show start definitely know different way of getting the same info ...
    My ccent exam wasnt heavy on memorizing cable just know the basics(cable types and what 802.3xx stands for) icon_cheers.gif
    Port numbers too.. know the main ones

I took my network+ there last month! Very laid back and commuter friendly! They also have school in there...

Congratulations!! When you going for the ICND2
    Will memorizing this cable list (from my Network+ notes) cover me at all?

10BASE-2 - "thinnet" Coaxial Cable w/ RG58 - 185 Meters - Uses a bus topology
    10BASE-5 - "thicknet" Coaxial Cable w/ RG8 or AUI 15 connector - 500 Meters
    10BASE-T - Cat-3 UTP 2 Paid (1,2,3,6) - RJ 45 - 100 Meters (STAR TOPOLOGY)
    10BASE-FL - Optical fiber ST - 2000 meters
    100BASE-TX - "fast ethernet" 2 Pair (straight) - RJ45 - 100Meters
    100BASE-FX - optical fiber SF/MF - 400/2km
    10GBASE-T - Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat5,5e,6,7) 4 pairs - 100 Meters
    10GBASE-SX - Multimode Fiber MF - 220 to 550 Meters
    10GBASE-LX - Single Mode Fiber SF/MF- 3km
    10GBASE-TX - Twisted Pair (Cat6, 7) - 100 Meters
    10GBASE-CX - Shielded Copper, mainly used connecting equipment same room, short
    10GBASE-ER - Single Mode Fiber "Extended Range" - 40KM
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    something wrong with this list... i cant see any 1000BASE, but too much 10GBASE : )

edit: i hope this are enough:
    IEEE 802.3, a, i, j, u, z, ab, ae, an
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284

no fill in the blanks
    2-3 drag n drop

Hmm, just 3-4 subnetting questions? And here I am, doing 20 subnetting questions a day! Are the sim questions like troubleshooting questions using CLI?

Congrats on the pass too! Good luck on ICND2!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was asked a medium question for the ICND1, but it was more of the ones you'll more likely to know of.
    It doesn't hurt to atleast look at it, and say "I know what that is / isn't"
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Congratulations man, and good luck on ICND2.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hmm, just 3-4 subnetting questions? And here I am, doing 20 subnetting questions a day! Are the sim questions like troubleshooting questions using CLI?

Congrats on the pass too! Good luck on ICND2!

Don't be misled by this. If you have to configure a routing protocol, for example, it could be an indirect subnetting question, know what I mean?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)