Options

Has anyone used DeepFreeze at their work, or a volunteer enviroment?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone use DeepFreeze at their work? I just accepted a volunteer position as a Computer Lab Assistant at an organization that uses Deep Freeze in their computer lab. The program erases everything installed on the computer after a reboot. Are there any known issues that I should know about concerning this software? To my knowledge most of the users will be using facebook and email.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    We use it at work across 1000+ stations. It's a true time saver since as long as the computer is frozen you could go as far as formatting the HD but when the computer restarts it goes to it's original image state. The latest deepfreeze has some nice features too, such as retarting the station thawed and locked so no one could go up and start using it until after you freeze it back. I don't use it too much but I believe you can push updates and etc. using the latest one but we have Ghost so we generally use it.

Knew a few agents a few years back that wasn't trying to crack/get around Deep Freeze, they gave up when they saw a $15k challenge where if you cracked it and was able to mess with the original image you won $15k.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    My last place used it (over 7 years ago), a good bit of kit. The software must have change alot since when I used it though, the only thing that irrated us was when we deployed software and the centrally managed console didn't "unfreeze" all the PC's (in some areas we would do 90 PC's at a time).

I'd use it now at the place I am now, however the price is holding me back.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use it where I work. No real issues that I can think of, with the exception of forgetting to thaw machines when I need to install things. I've had to double install on several occasions. The management console is great!! You can freeze, thaw, lock, and reboot lots of machines at once.

Something to be aware of: Forensics experts can still pull data off of frozen machines. We had a machine confiscated a couple years ago, and police were successful in pulling web history off of it, despite being frozen when used.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Windows XP and Vista used to have a free utility called Steady State that allowed similar rollback functionality. They stopped supporting on Windows 7 and switched to a kludge of SCCM, scheduled task scripts, and group policy settings. Fortunately, Mark Minasi's team came out with their own free util called Steadier State. I haven't tried it, but if you are looking for rollback functionality and don't want to pay for DeepFreeze licenses, it would be worth a look.
    Steadier State
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Windows XP and Vista used to have a free utility called Steady State that allowed similar rollback functionality. They stopped supporting on Windows 7 and switched to a kludge of SCCM, scheduled task scripts, and group policy settings. Fortunately, Mark Minasi's team came out with their own free util called Steadier State. I haven't tried it, but if you are looking for rollback functionality and don't want to pay for DeepFreeze licenses, it would be worth a look.
    Steadier State

Used this for common use computers at a small business. It worked well.