Options

What is the best/easiest way to have multiple hosts to connect to for labs?

andre81andre81 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was doing some thinking/searching and I am curious to know the best way to setup multiple hosts (NICs?) to connect to the network. My thoughts are that not only could I verify connectivity this way, but maybe if I decided to pursue M$ certs in the future I could simulate an environment of clients. Could I build a PC with multiple NICs and use VirtualBox or maybe create virtual ethernet adapters with 1 NIC for the same purpose? I know this is not really necessary for CCNA, but I have an I7 socket MOBO and 4g DDR3 that are just dying to be used for something.
I also have been looking into GNS3, and was curious if multiple NIC's were of use for simulating routers and connecting switches?
I have used packet tracer a little, and my choices are this: spend $400-500 on Cisco equipment or build an I7 machine for use with GNS3/Dynamips and grab a couple 2950s.

For those that choose the I7 machine route, which OS? I have access to free M$ software, Server 2008 R2, etc, and I am also open to linux. M$ is what I am most experienced with, however I am running Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows 8, and Mac OSX in VirtualBox, but have not done much beyond making them all fully functional.

If neither of these options are good choices, than I am open to brand new ideas as well.

Comments