Options

What is a good wireless router these days?

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
After moving, I didn't think much about my wireless network and I pulled out an old WRT54G linksys router and set up my wireless on it (WPA2). After doing a speed test I noticed my speed was around 15 mbps. I assumed this was due to the wireless so I disconnected and plugged directly in. This time it was a little better, but it was still only like 16 mbps. Nothing like the 30 I had a few weeks ago when I tested directly plugged into the modem. So I plugged myself back into the modem and was able to get back to 30. So it must be that the old hardware in the WRT54G won't support the full 30 mbps so now I'm in the market looking for a wireless router that is going to be able to support my full speed. This is new for me, I've never had a faster connection to the internet than I've had for my wireless network. I've heard some good reviews on the ASUS Wireless N routers, but I haven't used one for a speed test before.

Thanks guys
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I upgraded to the latest firmware (which is still several years old) seeing speeds of about 26 Mbps now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been getting excellent performance out of my old WRT54G after I installed Tomato on it. Other than that, I've both heard and seen good things from Linksys' E-series routers.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    If you aren't in a hurry wait for the 802.11ac wireless routers to come out.Should be around june/july.

The first models are draft standard, just starting to be released.

But when the standard models are out, all the old models ones should drop in price if you don't want/need 802.11ac.

Up to 1.2/1.3Gbps for one device connected on 5GHz for the early models - so about 800Mbps in the realworld and dual band n devices up to 450Mbps . Theoretical max speed is around 6Gbps
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alxx wrote: »

Interesting, I've been hearing about 802.11ac. The only thing I don't like about it though is that it uses only the 5 GHz band which means reduced range. It would have been nice if they were able to get a band below 2.4 GHz.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I got this from BB for $150:

Cisco Linksys - E4200 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Switch and USB - E4200

I love it, works great. Funny side note: I went to Best Buy and asked distinctly for the Linksys E4200. I didn't say "give me a good router" I said the "Linksys E4200" and the guy grabbed and gave it to me then said, "do you want the Linksys or do you want the best router?" and then tries to hand me the apple airport. I go, "so you're saying Apple is better than Cisco?" and he emphatically said yes, then this homie came over and said the Netgear one was the best, which in his defense got the nod from PC Mag, but still...

maybe the Apple product is fine, I doubt it trumps the cisco, and regardless, i came in asking for a distinct product

But regardless, I love the router, it's been nothing but great for me. I originally thought I would need the extender, but nope, works like a charm
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently using a Cisco 1720 as my main router, going into a 8 port PoE switch. From there I have a HP msn410 AP, works brilliantly - though, this setup probably isn't the cheapest in the world.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been running an Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT for close to a year now and I'm very satisfied. Zero issues.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I still like (and want to like) Linksys products.

Thought for some installs I've gone with Buffalo and a handful with Dlink.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't had good long-term success with the Linksys products... they all seem to die in about 18 months time. And I mean hardware failure... I have had some where they have had their firmware upgraded, other replaced with DD-WRT... they just seem to crap out. It seemed to work out okay for me, though, as that typically coincided with a big technology update.

I switched to Netgear a few years back and I am still using my original one as a wireless bridge for my TV and Blu-ray player in the living room.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I seem to have the best luck with routers that have minimal features, anything that costs over 90 bucks seems to have technical issues. I have a DIR-655 but it was the first version and I kept getting wireless disconnects and random reboots. I checked their forums and saw a lot of the same issues and then they came out with a version B or something like that.... I replaced the firmware with DD-WRT and have not had any issues since.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have a dual band Netgear router, works flawlessly. I originally picked up the Apple router, which is a great router. However, Apple does not support NTFS drives via the USB port. I did not want to reformat my backup drive, so I took it back and got the Netgear which was rated just as highly.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe you can get a refurbed E4200 from the Linksys/Cisco online store for $99. Also you can flash it with DDWRT
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used everything from Netgear to Buffalo Tech to Linksys and beyond. I'm presently using an Apple AirPort Extreme and couldn't be happier. I get excellent coverage, network storage (via USB drive), and it has been rock solid. Save for the time the power has gone out at the house I have never once needed to power cycle it. I configured it once several years back and it has been solid ever since. I can't recommend it enough.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    You can get a refurb E3000 for $50 or new one for $70. I have had great luck with this dual band N router, which is a great price as the E4200 replaced it.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)