Options

Sharepoint 2010 Web Part to track steps from pedometer

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
My HR department has asked me to create a page for all of our employees to track data from pedometers. We want them to be able to enter a daily tally of steps walked and to see their progress and a chart with the top walkers. Does anyone know of a product that would do this or a way I could easily program it? A spreadsheet doesn't really work since you can edit each other's data without consequence.

Failing that are there any websites that have this functionality built in? I haven't been able to find a site dedicated to tracking steps from a pedometer that offers a corporate plan.
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I know you mentioned not being able to use Excel... But I've used Excel for a similiar function and just protected the sheet with passwords for cell ranges.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    The hospital I used to work at used this site: Walker Tracker - walking programs for corporations and organizations

I had to tell them how to fix the e-mails their site sent out because they kept getting stuck in our spam filters. They were sending everything out from root@walkertracker.com, big no no. Once they fixed that it was OK. I didn't participate in the pedometer walking thing, but it sounded like it was a big success.
  • Options
    I know you mentioned not being able to use Excel... But I've used Excel for a similiar function and just protected the sheet with passwords for cell ranges.

Good idea. Our other concern is that we have 160 people who are supposed to update daily. Even with a 50% participation rate it will be hard to find the file unlocked, especially during peak times to update.

I like that walkertracker website and forwarded it to my boss. Thanks!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Good idea. Our other concern is that we have 160 people who are supposed to update daily. Even with a 50% participation rate it will be hard to find the file unlocked, especially during peak times to update.

I like that walkertracker website and forwarded it to my boss. Thanks!

Actually a custom SharePoint list for this would be very easy to do. Just create the list with the fields required and then you could easily build a view with roll-ups and even create a dashboard very easily that would show "My Steps" based on the employee's user account. The entire process would be literally 30 minutes if you already have a SharePoint site.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually a custom SharePoint list for this would be very easy to do. Just create the list with the fields required and then you could easily build a view with roll-ups and even create a dashboard very easily that would show "My Steps" based on the employee's user account. The entire process would be literally 30 minutes if you already have a SharePoint site.

We actually did exactly this at my company a few years ago. I didn't implement it myself, but it took our SharePoint guy like 20 minutes to set up.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options

I have created our sharepoint site and this will be one of the big ways to push traffic to it early on. Unfortunately I don't know much about it beyond what google and some web part designers have told me so I need to do more educational projects. This sounds like something pretty great to learn with.

I used gunbunny's hint and explored the review section of Excel 2007/2010 and found that there is actually a way to set the file to share if you protect it. With the permissions set per row and sharing we have solved our problem. I still want to play with the custom list thing when I have some time.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How to create a custom list:
    SharePoint 2007/WSS 3.0
    Create a custom list form - SharePoint Designer - Office.com

SharePoint 2010/Foundation
    Create a Custom List in SharePoint 2010 - YouTube

How to add fields to a custom list
    Add, edit, or delete a column - Windows SharePoint Services - Office.com

How to create and edit views
    How to create a view for a list in SharePoint 2010 - YouTube

Shoot me an email or text if you need any help.