Options

Listing two jobs concurrently on your resume?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Can this be more confusing than it's worth? How do you list two jobs without running the risk of making your resume seem confusing? I ask because I am working two positions at the moment, one full time software support position and the other is a service/project management role which is ~5-10 hours a week. Have any of you run into this situation and if so how did you handle it? My main goal is a Business Analyst/Project Management career, but my main job is in software support. I realllly don't want to leave off my PM role. I have 11 months and counting experiencing in that role. 8 months of which where direct management.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting question Patrick! I might just list both of them and when the interviewer asks me if the dates were skewed, I'd explain the situation that I have two concurrent jobs. But on your resume list your PM role first, since that's what is going to take you where you want to be.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »
    Interesting question Patrick! I might just list both of them and when the interviewer asks me if the dates were skewed, I'd explain the situation that I have two concurrent jobs. But on your resume list your PM role first, since that's what is going to take you where you want to be.

Ess thanks for the reply. I was thinking listing the PM job role first. I am concerned that might be more confusing though. Since that job I started in December and my PM position was started last year in February.

If I leave off the software support position can they audit my financials and see I was only working 5-10 hours a week for the last 2.5 months? If so then I would be forced to listed the support job.

Ahhhh good times!
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I would say list the newest position first, that's how I did mine. Here's a copy and paste from the top of mine (formatting probably gone)

Contact info (centered)

OBJECTIVE
    To obtain a position in the information technology field working within USFK.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
    • Active Secret Clearance, Adjudicated on 07 April 2009
    • Over 8 years experience in the IT field
    • Current in multiple industry certifications, including A+, Network+ and Security+
    • Experienced Java and C++ Programmer
    • Experienced in web development
    • Familiar with networking concepts and practice
    • Strong hardware and software troubleshooting skills
    • Experienced in OU level system administration
    • Awaiting conferral of a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
    • Actively pursuing advanced industry certifications
    • Familiar with project management concepts and practices

MILITARY SPECIFIC
    Exceed DoD 8750.1M certification requirements for IAT II and IAM I. Over three years experience working with ICSF, C2PC, GCCS-J client and COP server, CENTRIXS-K client, GCCS-K COP server. Functioned as USFK J33 IAM / IASO / IMO for over 500 workstations and users.

OPERATING SYSTEMS
    Familiar with Windows XP / Vista / 7 / Server 2003, Ubuntu Linux, RedHat Enterprise Linux, Fedora Linux, and Solaris.

blah blah more stuff like the two above

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
    • Sr. Trainer, General Dynamics Information Technology, USAG Yongsan, Korea, Republic of, August 2010 – Present
    • Information Systems Operator / Analyst, US Army, USAG Yongsan, Korea, Republic of, February 2007 – October 2010
    • Independent Contractor – Iron Realms Entertainment
      • Producer / Chief Programmer, November 2006 – Present
      • Developer / Programmer, April 2004 – December 2005
      • Part-time Programmer / Intern, February 2003 –April 2004

If the formatting isn't lost, you can see I listed my current position first, then Army, then my side job (which I actually just left so I need to update this). I used, basically, order of start date for issues where I couldn't figure out what order to use.

Important part is the summary of qualifications at the top and then the broken down list of more specific skills (both targeted towards where you're applying).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Who's "they" when you say audit your financials. Can a prospective employer audit your financials over in the US?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Essendon wrote: »
    Who's "they" when you say audit your financials. Can a prospective employer audit your financials over in the US?

Not without your permission. Some companies will pull your credit report (which is reasonable, depending on the position.... if someone is going to be given access to an expense account or discretionary funds, it's a good idea to know if they're buried in debt), but as far as your tax returns or your bank account information, only way they can get that is if you turn it over. And that's something I would never do.

(Note: This is for private sector employment with no ties to the government. I have no idea if a government position or going to work for someone with government contracts would require a review of your personal finances)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    Can this be more confusing than it's worth? How do you list two jobs without running the risk of making your resume seem confusing? I ask because I am working two positions at the moment, one full time software support position and the other is a service/project management role which is ~5-10 hours a week. Have any of you run into this situation and if so how did you handle it? My main goal is a Business Analyst/Project Management career, but my main job is in software support. I realllly don't want to leave off my PM role. I have 11 months and counting experiencing in that role. 8 months of which where direct management.

Shouldn't be a big deal to list both.

I held several concurrent jobs up through my 30s and only then (once married) paired down to one or two. If there is one full-time and the rest are all part-time, so long as the hours of the new job will not be burdened by your commitments, there should be no issue listing them. I.e. one job was PT- evenings. The other was PT- weekends with a 7-5pm job as the main full-time position.

As I've hired folks over the years, I'd see this as well.

Watch out for...
    - the new employer being worried you will not 'focus' your time on them.
    - watch out for competing interests. I typically worked in retail and landscape as 'extra' jobs, and neither of these conflicted with my full-time position.
    - on occassion, some may criticize your 'loyalty' or worry you will burn out. You need to just be prepared to answer these sorts of questions or depending on the environment, mention it first.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    List both. They are clearly different. If they weren't, I would say only list your full-time job, but since they are and the part-time showcases the skills that you want to put forth, go with both.

I have list concurrent jobs... I was the president of a (small) credit union for three years and always liked getting questions about that. Sometimes it isn't confusion, even if that is what the interviewer calls it, it is intrigue (and that's a Good Thing[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]™ ;)[/FONT])
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i have a similar question. I started a small business with a few people where i am the co-owner/Director of Technology(really i could make my title whatever i wish). I do this on the side of my current full time job. I don't put it on my resume. But should I?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yes list both with most recent at the top. I list my Air National Guard job, which is only 1 weekend a month and 2+ weeks a year. Never been asked why it overlaps my main job, although my situation is a bit different.