Options

Another CCENT finished post!

geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
Started last spring studying, but grad school burned me out! Picked back up week before Christmas and passed today.. Watching Jeremy on CBT nuggets right now and about to eat a steak to celebrate..

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Going to pickup for CCNA right away?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ASAP! Just finished first three ISND 2 videos and going to eat and then read.. I have been inspired by Noc-Ninja and his Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab thread.. Will probably have to work in the ADTRAN Technical Support Professional (ATSP) for my job, but that is the only thing that is going to slow me down... Would really like to be done in 4-6 weeks..
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Congrats man! I know it's a great feeling to finally pass the exam you've been studying for taking up months of your free time. If you don't mind me asking what did you score on it? And are you using CBT for ICND2? What books are you using? Cisco Press?
  • Options
    877 and I should have taken it two weeks ago, not sure anything I studied in the last few weeks was actually on it. The Boson exam sim stuff spooked me as I sucked on it so I pushed back a week and a half. I did CBT Nuggets and Wendell Odom's book as my primary. I did both at the same time, read a few watch a few. CBT maps with the book very closely and it helped a ton. I used a bunch of other stuff and I mean a bunch, but honestly that is all you need. Took me forever to finally "get" subnetting and in the end I made a chart (that I could reproduce exam day) that I used as that is what worked for me.

I really did not think the test was that hard (I know I only made a 877). The issue with Cisco is there are sooo many resources out there that it can be distracting! I honestly think someone just needs to pick two and run with it. The exception is subnetting, it might take you awhile to find something that makes it click for you! But it is sooo easy to get distracted chasing the perfect lab, or book, or whatever!
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    geek4god wrote: »
    877 and I should have taken it two weeks ago, not sure anything I studied in the last few weeks was actually on it. The Boson exam sim stuff spooked me as I sucked on it so I pushed back a week and a half. I did CBT Nuggets and Wendell Odom's book as my primary. I did both at the same time, read a few watch a few. CBT maps with the book very closely and it helped a ton. I used a bunch of other stuff and I mean a bunch, but honestly that is all you need. Took me forever to finally "get" subnetting and in the end I made a chart (that I could reproduce exam day) that I used as that is what worked for me.

I really did not think the test was that hard (I know I only made a 877). The issue with Cisco is there are sooo many resources out there that it can be distracting! I honestly think someone just needs to pick two and run with it. The exception is subnetting, it might take you awhile to find something that makes it click for you! But it is sooo easy to get distracted chasing the perfect lab, or book, or whatever!

I totally agree with you on the exam not seeming that hard. The Boson exam simulator really prepared me well as the questions (question types that is..) were very accurate to the actual exam. I actually think the Boson exam looked much better than the Cisco exam. The real exam seemed dated technology wise. Also, it seemed like they tried to throw in some trick questions. Not really trick questions..but it was clear that at first glance you would think 2 or 3 would be right when it's really only one that is truly correct.

They just love to pick your mind! :)
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ASAP! Just finished first three ISND 2 videos and going to eat and then read.. I have been inspired by Noc-Ninja and his Stopping LIFE to pursue CCIE Lab thread.. Will probably have to work in the ADTRAN Technical Support Professional (ATSP) for my job, but that is the only thing that is going to slow me down... Would really like to be done in 4-6 weeks..

Enjoy the ADTRAN training...you will learn much more about networking by doing cross vendor implementations because if things don't work you have to figure out why rather than just solving it using the copy & paste method. ADTRAN makes some pretty good stuff. We use their carrier grade ethernet gear to aggregate DSL and it's pretty solid. The Adtran Operating System (AOS) is very similar to IOS so it's an easy transition and almost all of their gear has a web gui.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congrats on the pass. I know how you feel, I took my time with ICND1. I planned my ICND2 for a much faster turnaround.
    Then I need to cram in a CIW for WGU and see if I can squeeze in the Aruba associate wireless cert.

Good luck with ICND2 and the Adtran studies.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□

Congrats and good luck with CCNA. I am probably going the exact route you went with cbt nuggets and maybe the Cisco Press book. I totally agree with you about getting distracted because its so much info out there people just get confused looking for the perfect method. One guy I know just used videos and an awesome home lab and the boson test and did good. You just have to pick something and roll with it.