sims

cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi all is there a list of sims people would reccomed for icnd1?

i have done loads of lads but would like to focus on maybe 10

dave

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boson NetSim:
    I have and still use the Boson NetSIm8. It's great for CCENT. But at the CCNA level is where it gets nutty. I don't even want to imagine using the CCNP.

It's frustrating for me, using CCNA level NetSim. One stupidness I dislike are the ACLs aren't forgotten, even after a reload of a router, and then you click on the next exam. Set it up just to allow ping through RIP and bam! "UUUUU". Command support is also hit or miss. Dont stray beyond what the LABs want you to know otherwise you won't know it. Also the "?" doesn't show all the options with commands you start to type. So you won't know it's ever there.

Mind you, this is why im looking into lab equipment. Real experience with real equipment :)

What commands, you ask? Some debug commands, shome show commands.

GNS3 "Suite":

it's free, and popular. However, it uses real IOS images. Which is great! If it came with IOS images... but it doesn't. So without the images, you won't use it.

I've never been able to use it as I don't have images. A more-legal way to acquire them is through getting paid service through Cisco. I don't know how much this is so I can't answer the question.

I've never used it.

I won't say what i've heard because it's ally hersay, and i don't like rumors :)

Packet Tracer:
    Available for Academy students only. I've used it, briefly. It didn't appeal to me.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i used Packet Tracer for icnd 1&2 - worked out fine

for getting images for gns3 there is this saying "what happens in the lab stays in the lab" and "google is always a friend in need" ... ;)
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh. I get it. Wink Winks?

Isn't this something SOPA would love to erase this forum for? ;) jokenly said, of course.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams