Options

IPv6 Launch Coming in June.

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol | World IPv6 Launch
World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol

Top websites, Internet service providers, and home networking equipment manufacturers commit to largest transition in the Internet’s history

[Washington, D.C., USA and Geneva, Switzerland] – 17 January 2012 – Major Internet service providers (ISPs), home networking equipment manufacturers, and web companies around the world are coming together to permanently enable IPv6 for their products and services by 6 June 2012.

Organized by the Internet Society, and building on the successful one-day World IPv6 Day event held on 8 June 2011, World IPv6 Launch represents a major milestone in the global deployment of IPv6. As the successor to the current Internet Protocol, IPv4, IPv6 is critical to the Internet’s continued growth as a platform for innovation and economic development.

Any reactions or thoughts on what it means for the world, your company, or you as an IT Pro?

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    It means time to brush up on the hexadecimal!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    time to remember the rules for shorthanding IPv6!

I love you ::
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    One tiny step closer to the ultimate goal of completely transitioning to IPv6.

The transition is happening, but no matter how hard you push, it is essentially just a very slow moving freight train.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    World IPv6 Launch Solidifies Global Support for New Internet Protocol | World IPv6 Launch

Any reactions or thoughts on what it means for the world, your company, or you as an IT Pro?

Yeah, it means that the person with IPv6 skills is more valuable than the person without.

I'm not even sure if it's possible for the lay-user, but DNS will become even more important.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

It means a great deal to me as an IT Pro, because it's a major deal with my employer, we're wholeheartedly embracing ipv6.

I've spent my morning deploying ipv6 configurations to CMTS's in the Chicago area in anticipation of native ipv6 launch in that market.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It means a great deal to me as an IT Pro, because it's a major deal with my employer, we're wholeheartedly embracing ipv6.

I've spent my morning deploying ipv6 configurations to CMTS's in the Chicago area in anticipation of native ipv6 launch in that market.

That's good to know that so many companies in the US are really embracing this. I don't think we are going to transition any time in the near future. The network admins at my work are so dang over tasked it is not even funny!
  • Options
    That's good to know that so many companies in the US are really embracing this. I don't think we are going to transition any time in the near future. The network admins at my work are so dang over tasked it is not even funny!

Well my new employer has been one of the drivers for ipv6 adoption for years now (at least in the US). We moved to ipv6 internally years ago, because we had no choice, we exhausted RFC1918 space.
  • Options
    For giggles, I went ahead and did Hurricane Electric's ipv6 certification.

Hurricane Electric IPv6 Certification

Turns out I was actually pretty ready for ipv6, only thing I had to really put any effort into was getting the glue records into DNS.

Started having an ipv6 tunnel from HE routed to the home network and addressed all of the internal hosts with ipv6, and it's absolutely wonderful not having to deal with NAT concerns.

On the other hand, I've discovered a few security related issues. For example, at work, the proxy is smart enough to check and kill any ssh connections going out over port 443 on ipv4, which kills off the most common circumvention.... but it's not smart enough to do it for ipv6, which tanks to Teredo, I have on my workstation. Ok, so I've got my out to the world.

Then I discovered that I can use an ipv6 ssh tunnel to forward a local port to an ip/port combo on ipv4 anywhere else in the world, assuming that your middle machine is dual stacked, and just like that, I have total security policy circumvention again.

So I'm excited to see ipv6 adoption sped along, but there's going to be alot of work to do to achieve parity from a features standpoint, and maintaining a proper security posture on a dual stacked network is going to be very, very difficult (that's a hint for you folks wanting to make a career out of security. I would suggest making security on dual stacked network a primary focus of your career, there's going to be alot of demand for it, this is an opportunity to get ahead of the game)
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Forsaken

I've been working on HE's IPv6 certs as I too wondered "well now what?" after I did my first IPv6 ping on my tunnel at home. Luckily We've got a /32 ISP allocation at work in case that /64 runs out icon_wink.gif

What are you using at the house to run your HE tunnel? I've got a Linksys WRT320N that's running DD-WRT but I've been doing a bunch of work with Mikrotik routers and switches lately, so I may give one of those a shot since they do MPLS and VPLS and build myself a private v6 MPLS core at home just for the hell of it. Then I can run EoMPLS to my desk at work and it wil be just like sitting at home icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Well, I use a Cisco 3825 at home as the CPE end of my cable modem connection, so the tunnel just terminates to that. I'm going to see if I can get work to let me configure my cable modem with native ipv6 and then route a /64 to my CPE, so I no longer need the tunnel. My VPS provider finally turned ipv6 on for the facility my box is at, so I've got that part covered.

For me, the now what was easy... just address everything on my network over ipv6 so I can get to it whenever I want without having to play reindeer games with NAT port forwarding, or go through a reverse proxy to make multiple web servers available from the outside on port 80 (most corporate proxies aren't cool with pulling up web servers on port 42435 or the like)

I don't particularly give a damn if the *rest* of the world can get to my stuff so long as I can, and running a v6 tunnel on a workstation to get native access to all home gear without having to play with all the security crap in between makes it incredibly simple to do so.

Unfortunately, I'm still running the home network in dual stack. My goal is to convert everything to running ipv6 only, but I'll still need ipv4 connectivity for the forseeable future, so I imagine I'm going to be setting up a linux box to do NAT64 and DNS64. And unfortunately, pfsense's ipv6 support leaves something to be desired at the moment, so I'm going to need to figure out what to do about a firewall (right now I've just got the router dropping all v6 traffic except from a few specific prefixes)