Options

Cisco Packet Tracer on Linux Ubuntu

computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
I'm trying to get packet tracer to work on ubuntu. I downloaded the file and set the file to executable and I'm not sure how to execute the file in terminal. chmod +x PacketTracer52_*.bin I tried exec chmod +x PacketTracer52_*.bin when I did that the terminal closed out and nothing happened.
There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just extract the gzip. And then sudo ./install from the folder. Then you can launch it by just typing packettracer.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    When I downloaded the file from cisco.com I only got chmod +x PacketTracer52_*.bin file and nothing else. These are the directions it says to follow:

To install the Linux BIN packages, set the permission to be executable (chmod +x PacketTracer52_*.bin) then execute the binary in the terminal.

Here's the filename, PacketTracer533_i386_installer-deb.bin
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packettraceer sucks dont use it....
    use GNS3 or dynamips...
    packettracer try to emulate what the ios does, gns3 or dynamips emulate the hardware you mount the ios over simulated hardware so guess what? you get all the commands avaliable like real switch you get all the bugs the ios you using and all that, you can even connect you virtual network with real equipment..
    its like comparing a toy switches(packettracer) with real switches(gns3 or dynamips)

just checkit out :)
    Graphical Network Simulator - GNS3

have fun

note: i dont really know if it works on linux but this is a really good tool
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Packettraceer sucks dont use it....use GNS3 or dynamips... packettracer try to emulate what the ios does, gns3 or dynamips emulate the hardware you mount the ios over simulated hardware so guess what? you get all the commands avaliable like real switch you get all the bugs the ios you using and all that, you can even connect you virtual network with real equipment.. its like comparing a toy switches(packettracer) with real switches(gns3 or dynamips)just checkit out :)Graphical Network Simulator - GNS3have funnote: i dont really know if it works on linux but this is a really good tool
    And if he doesn't have any real switches? I think packet tracer still does a good job for some learning. He can at least use PT to simulate switches.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    Packettraceer sucks dont use it....
    use GNS3 or dynamips...

its like comparing a toy switches(packettracer) with real switches(gns3 or dynamips)

GNS3 and dynamips do not do switches, only routers, you can install an etherswitch card into a router, but it is not the same as configuring a real switch. For whatever packet tracer is lacking, it is enough to learn CCNA material and is really easy to use. There is also IOU if you want to go that route.
  • Options
    true that... but still its a WAY but Years lights better than crappy packet tracer.... If you really want to study with the real thing if you dont have any real router, asa you can use this...
    I studied my ccna with dynamips when i starting using it i totally deleted packetracer...
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you expect him to learn about VTP and STP? You can't do those in GNS without real switches...
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    packettracer are not real switches :)
    Anyways guess he can use the crappy simulator for that and for everything else gns3