Options

SDM yet again...

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
Hi Everyone,

Back on my studies for CCNA:Security, got to the stage of needing the SDM for zone based firewalls. Been to the Cisco website and looked at the requirements for installing SDM v2.5. So far i have tried the following versions of java:

JRE 1.5_09
JRE1.4.2_08
JRE 1.5.0_06
JRE 1.5.0_07
JRE 1.6.0_02
JRE 1.6.0_03

None of them work, i can get to the 'loading Cisco SDM' page then nothing happens after. Ive downgraded Firefox, tried numerous versions of java but still the same.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    That looks like the entire SDM Java "supported" list - LOL

Java can be a pain, as it leaves traces on your machine that messes with newer versions.

Remove all versions of java on your PC and run a program call JavaRa to remove all hidden traces of previously installed Java versions.

Then install the latest version on your list.

This "should" do the trick, but SDM works better with IE IMO
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    That looks like the entire SDM Java "supported" list - LOL

Java can be a pain, as it leaves traces on your machine that messes with newer versions.

Remove all versions of java on your PC and run a program call JavaRa to remove all hidden traces of previously installed Java versions.

Then install the latest version on your list.

This "should" do the trick, but SDM works better with IE IMO

+1 for JavaRa. I was having the same issues and I am using IE 8. Ran JavaRa to remove all traces and re-installed 1.6.0_2 which works fine for me.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the problem is firefox. One of the firefox patches pretty much made it no longer backwards-compatible with older versions of java. 'Fraid you'll have to cringe and click that 'Internet Explorer' button icon_sad.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    chrome and some of the supported jre's work
    But IE is the easiest option.

Haven't tried on linux with openjdk yet
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies, still the same issue I even downgraded firefox to version 2.0 still the same. Tried IE 8 but it just hangs at the "loading SDM" page with 1.6.0_2.

I've followed all the guidelines on the Cisco website, didn't think it would be such an issue to get this SDM working just for a few things :/
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i got so frustrated trying to make SDM work on my box that i ended up installing a virtual machine of windows xp (i think SP2 but it might have been SP3) with IE 6.0 and used JRE 1.6.0_03 and it worked perfectly.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    What router and ios?
    Is the install on your router complete ?
    Is the ios you have supported by it/enough ram ?

Its not getting blocked by your firewall or antivirus ?

Can you access the webserver on your router without sdm (before its installed) ?

Downloading and Installing Cisco Router and Security Device Manager  [Cisco Router and Security Device Manager] - Cisco Systems ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Havent really got much further with this :/ i've removed SP3 from XP, downgraded IE 8 to 6 installed JRE 1.6.0_03 but still exactly the same. The image i was using was: c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.123-4.t4
  • Options
    TomAtkinsTomAtkins Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where did you get the SDM from?

I'm having trouble finding a place to download a copy that I can practice with.
  • Options
    Still havent managed to get this sorted :/ currently getting the error

'SDM has not been granted with the necessary privileges in order to startup successfully, or another unknown error occurred during startup.Please close all involved browser windows and try again by granting all requested privileges. '

the config is correct:

Router(config)# ip http server
    Router(config)# ip http secure-server
    Router(config)# ip http authentication local
    Router(config)# username <username> privilege 15 password <password>
    Router(config)# line vty 0 4
    Router(config-line)# privilege level 15
    Router(config-line)# login local

Currently have sun java version 1_4_2 installed and IOS c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T11 was hoping to get a little SDM practice before my exam, doesnt look that way though.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Back on my studies for CCNA:Security, got to the stage of needing the SDM for zone based firewalls. Been to the Cisco website and looked at the requirements for installing SDM v2.5. So far i have tried the following versions of java:

JRE 1.5_09
    JRE1.4.2_08
    JRE 1.5.0_06
    JRE 1.5.0_07
    JRE 1.6.0_02
    JRE 1.6.0_03

None of them work, i can get to the 'loading Cisco SDM' page then nothing happens after. Ive downgraded Firefox, tried numerous versions of java but still the same.

Any ideas?

Cheers

They love this SDM on the test dont they? Never used it. I hated VSM on switches too.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    Still havent managed to get this sorted :/ currently getting the error

'SDM has not been granted with the necessary privileges in order to startup successfully, or another unknown error occurred during startup.Please close all involved browser windows and try again by granting all requested privileges. '

the config is correct:

Router(config)# ip http server
    Router(config)# ip http secure-server
    Router(config)# ip http authentication local
    Router(config)# username <username> privilege 15 password <password>
    Router(config)# line vty 0 4
    Router(config-line)# privilege level 15
    Router(config-line)# login local

Currently have sun java version 1_4_2 installed and IOS c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T11 was hoping to get a little SDM practice before my exam, doesnt look that way though.

When I was going through the joy of getting SDM working, I found a post by Keith Barker (CCIE) on the learning network that solved my problem. I would take a look at the thread, read his replies and see if anything helps.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/91464

Good luck and wear your reading glasses for the exam.
  • Options
    Cheers I'll check the link out, not holding my breath though to be honest. Probably just have to remember where everything is for the exam.