Options

STP on CCENT

mguymguy Member Posts: 167 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how detailed a CCENT test taker know about the Spanning Tree Protocol. I know it prevents network loops and other inherent network issues in switch devices.

In terms of the mechanism, I'm not sure how deep I should know about it. Is knowing that it uses BPDUs and the 5 states enough? Or will I have to go deep into the mechanism of root bridge selection, lower cost, ie. all the technical stuff found here:

Catalyst 6500 Series Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide, 12.1E - Configuring STP and IEEE 802.1s MST - Cisco Systems

I am using lammle's book and it doesn't go deep into the mechanism, it just gives quick definition of the technical STP terms (and a cute story of how DEC was renamed Compaq as a pre-amble paragraph).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    I think you have to know how the root bridge election work and what are root, designated and blocked ports means.
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    I don't know which Lammle book you're reading, but the one I'm reading he goes into great depth. He discusses the whole election process,BDPUs, how one becomes to root port and designatated port.He also discusses how switches converage. I think you should know it all just to be onthe safe side.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For ICND1 all you need to know is what is STP i.e. a loop prevention mechanism which implements blocked ports while keeping redundancy in the event a link goes down. It's layer 2 of the OSI model.
    No need to learn port status or root bridge elections or even priority values. That is ICND2 stuff
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.