Options

Flashcards

kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
Hi All,

just wondered how people create there flashcards? I seen few posts on people who use the electronic version on the iphone/ipad but Im looking to make my own on paper/card.

So do people buy ready cut size cards? Or make your own? If so anyone got any links to sites that sell blanks?

All new to me flashcards but I gotta try them see if they help.

K
LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550

Comments

• Options
    jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use 3.5 x 5 index cards. On one side I write a topic with a Sharpie. On the other side I write down all the details I need to memorize for that particular topic. For the ICND1 I started with about 50 cards, and just reviewed them when I had a few free minutes. It helped for committing some particular details to memory.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use Mnemosyne...it has an algorithm built in that "learns" how often you need to see a flashcard in order to memorize it. It's pretty neat and works well.

Welcome to the Mnemosyne Project | The Mnemosyne Project
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought a pack from ebay. They are called index cards and they are lined. I think the size was 12cmx8cm or close to that.
    I also have used proprofs for creating flashcards
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    kevin31 wrote: »
    Hi All,

just wondered how people create there flashcards? I seen few posts on people who use the electronic version on the iphone/ipad but Im looking to make my own on paper/card.

So do people buy ready cut size cards? Or make your own? If so anyone got any links to sites that sell blanks?

K

Flashcards are a great way to study and how you go about making/studying those flashcards is entirely dependant on your learning style. Personally, I just use regular old index cards (3.5 x 5) that you can pick up at any office supply store or grocery store. Physically writing out definitions or commands helps me to remember them better.

I also organize flash cards via topic (or by chapter) and approach studying them in a three tier process. Tier 1: reviewing flash cards from individual chapters, and focusing studies on what I cant remember or recall. Tier 2: Mixing multiple chapters together but that are still related based on topic (i.e. Switch Config and its CLI commands span multiple chapters but are still centered around the same topic; switches). Tier 3: Mixing multiple chapters and topics together and quizzing myself in that regard.

Regardless of HOW you study your flash cards, the key is to study them EVERYDAY. Repitition is king (unless you have a photographic memory). Hope that helps!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi All,

K

I used paper flashcards for my server 2008 tests, but I have used electronic flash cards for all of my Cisco tests. Mnemosyne and AnyMemo are nice programs that utilize the spaced repetition principle.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Is this a joke? I just had an amazing 2 minutes of laughing. Not sure if this is a joke or serious guys. No offense if it's serious. I just don't see how.
  • Options
    alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I just fold an A4 piece of paper in half and then in half again.
  • Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    Is this a joke? I just had an amazing 2 minutes of laughing. Not sure if this is a joke or serious guys. No offense if it's serious. I just don't see how.

Lol I know what you mean. I don't know if the OP wanted to know who all uses notecards to study? Or if he is physically asking what size to use.
  • Options
    LOL. yeah. I mean, I'd ask if anyone had notecards I could see or copy or get ideas from. But, "whats a flash card, and how do you make them?" LOL. Too MUCH!
  • Options
    LOL. yeah. I mean, I'd ask if anyone had notecards I could see or copy or get ideas from. But, "whats a flash card, and how do you make them?" LOL. Too MUCH!

What may be second nature to you and others is not necessarily always second nature to everyone, and not everyone may have access to a store that sells readily made materials. I don't know if the OP is trying to be funny, but it seems like he is genuinely asking for some help.

Maybe you guys need to visit the CCNP and CCIE forums a bit so they can howl at your expense when you ask for help after becoming completely lost in multi-point routing redistribution..which is totally "easy" btw :rolleyes:

Kinda bad form in general
  • Options
    Easy friend. I wasn't laughing at 'newbies' nor was I making fun of anyone. The question and answers that followed were humerous. Lighten up. I'm sure everyone local to the USA has easy access to the local store for a $2 pack of notecards. Breathe. Relax.

Kevin, if I've offended you in any way. I apologize. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Easy friend. I wasn't laughing at 'newbies' nor was I making fun of anyone. The question and answers that followed were humerous. Lighten up. I'm sure everyone local to the USA has easy access to the local store for a $2 pack of notecards. Breathe. Relax.

Kevin, if I've offended you in any way. I apologize. icon_sad.gif

I'm not worked up, I just didn't think it was all that cool to be openly laughing at someone asking for help. As to your other point, believe it or not, there are a bunch of places in the US of A where it involves a lengthy trip to get basic stuff like pens, paper, TP, etc - ever been to Alaska? The rural south?
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□

The OP didn't ask "whats a flash card" so you misquoted him/her there. If they did not know what it was they would not have asked what type people use. He/she is just wanting to know what other people use and where they get them from. It is a perfectly valid question in my humble opinion. If I hadn't used flashcards before I would be curious too.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Anyone use electronic/computer/digital flashcards? I assume there is such a thing.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I haven't used them, but I've seen them available on Android and PC. I've just never ponied up the cash to buy them.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Anyone use electronic/computer/digital flashcards? I assume there is such a thing.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Flashcardexchange.com them print them out.
    Use the same flash cards on iphone/ipad and pc.

For ios can import from flashcardexchange into mentalcase

or make them in mental case and export to flashcard exchange and synch between mentalcase on ios and mac.

There is a free version of mental case it only lets you download flashcards from your own webserver not flash card exchange(designed for school use)

Anki or Mnemosyne are good free options on mac/linux/win.

Can also get those A5 or smaller cards for use in address books.
    The ones that get used at school/uni for debating or public speaking

If I print, I usually just use normal printer paper double sided then cut it up.
    Useful it you are getting some else to test you.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi All,

K

I haven’t studied for any Cisco related material yet, so I can’t comment on the best flash cards for that material, but this is what I have used in the past for other certifications.

For paper cards I have used the following in the past:

Colorbar Index Cards, 3x5, 100ct
    • Color bars instead of rules make it easy to highlight notes
    • Rainbow color packs for fast color coding
    (These can be found at any Wal-Mart in the office section and have different colored strips on the index cards, great for studying)..check your local wal mart..

Double sided index cards also…..great for studying if you like ruled index lines on both sides

Oxford® Double-Sided Index Cards*|*Quill.com

Lately I have just been using Quizlet to make flash cards online and study via on line. They keep making improvements to their website every so often.

Also, I might add that the local dollar store usually sells index cards as well.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    alxx wrote: »

Anki or Mnemosyne are good free options on mac/linux/win.

I'm using Mnemosyne to study for the CCENT. I like how it keeps track of cards that you are having a hard time with.

Haven't used Anki yet, gonna give that a shot as well. I see that one talked alot about on the Packetpushers blog.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Hey all,

Well thanks for the replies. Sorry if the question was a bit vague and not meaning to make it sound stupid but not everyone has used Flashcards before so as in my case needed to no certian things. Thank you for those who supported me against others.

I have since purchased some index cards off ebay so will have them soon. So will start creating these during my studies as I read through the different topics. So when it comes to review of flashcards should I be doing all flashcards every day or just the subject im reviewing?

I really cant see how these help but I see so many people use them and they work so I must be missing something.

Once I start getting used to the cards migth try some the electronic version people have quoted.

so whats peoples average flashcard count per subject? EG OSPF?

K
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550