Options

Google destroying memory

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Google Search And Memory

I've felt this for a couple years now, with such a wealth of information it just isn't possible to remember it all. Rather I attempt to remember where I read it (book, website, ect). I have a whole folder in my favorites dedicated to technical crap that I've read for if I need to reference it later. Is it really such a bad thing?
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Google Search And Memory

I've felt this for a couple years now, with such a wealth of information it just isn't possible to remember it all. Rather I attempt to remember where I read it (book, website, ect). I have a whole folder in my favorites dedicated to technical crap that I've read for if I need to reference it later. Is it really such a bad thing?

If your saving stuff you looked up I don't see that as any different than what I used to do was print it out and put it in a binder for future reference or highlight in a PDF and save it to a specific folder.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Until we have memory enhancing technology that allows us to actually extend our memory capacity then we are going to need things like this. The amount of knowledge required to work professionally at an expert level in any given field changes drastically every 3 to 5 years (in many professions doubling in size). So I don't think it is that people are using their memories less, I think it is that we need these crutches more now than we ever did in the past.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Until we have memory enhancing technology that allows us to actually extend our memory capacity then we are going to need things like this. The amount of knowledge required to work professionally at an expert level in any given field changes drastically every 3 to 5 years (in many professions doubling in size). So I don't think it is that people are using their memories less, I think it is that we need these crutches more now than we ever did in the past.

Is it extend our memory capacity or improve how we recall things accurately? I thought our memory capabilities are almost infinite its just our ability to recall things. I am all for neuro implants though, along with cybernetic implants which give me swords that pop out of my forearms.
  • Options
    So I don't think it is that people are using their memories less, I think it is that we need these crutches more now than we ever did in the past.

My interpretation was that our reason for reading has changed. It used to be that we read to learned. Now we read with the intent to become informed rather than consume because we feel that with all of our technology why waste the time and energy to commit it to memory? I think its just part of the whole information age where everything moves so much quicker than it used to.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

This is it. Instead of being the encyclopedia on the topic (think in terms of the old library) we have become the index. This isn't so bad, indexing allows a certain amount of cross referenced information which isn't really possible with an encyclopedia.

If it has been a long time since you used a library, think of it like a wiki article. We need to know the info on the broad wiki level, in the wiki article there are links to more specific information, related information, etc. Instead of being the student in the library, we are the librarians.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    ...I am all for neuro implants though...

A bit like Johnny Mnemonic? Me too, except I'll get the upgrade, 80 gb's just ain't enough :)
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Google is your brain's swap file.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

This isn't so far off. I tell people that I have to go back to school about every three years to stay relevant. This usually follows discussion (mainly them complaining) about student loans and how unfair they are. Then progresses to how I don't have student loans and it is unfair that I make so much more money than they do without a bachelor's degree. Then I hit them with what I have to do to stay current in my knowledge base. I also hit them with the massive amount of responsibility I have to my clients. I say this with an emphasis to my friends who are teachers, I can, and have been, fired for screwing something up.

That shuts them up, or it at least quiets them and they simply complain about it in like minded company.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    its all about remembering what to google when you need an answer
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Is it extend our memory capacity or improve how we recall things accurately? I thought our memory capabilities are almost infinite its just our ability to recall things. I am all for neuro implants though, along with cybernetic implants which give me swords that pop out of my forearms.
    From a practical perspective isn't that just semantics, though? FINO memory of 100 PB is practically speaking == 0 B.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is one thing Google can't help me with...the video game of a certain tune that's in my head. I thought it was Zelda or Super Mario brothers or even Phantasy Star 4...but I can't even remember the game, or the console I played it on...just that really hypnotic tune. I've used those humming apps/websites, but they were no help.

Other than that though...if I can remember ONE aspect of a particular function, then into Google it goes and I end up seeing it within the first 5 links. Memory doesn't succumb to atrophy; it'll just be used for something else.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of Einstein’s colleagues asked him for his telephone number one day. Einstein reached for a telephone directory and looked it up.

“You don’t remember your own number?” the man asked, startled.” No,” Einstein answered. “Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?”
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote: »
    One of Einstein’s colleagues asked him for his telephone number one day. Einstein reached for a telephone directory and looked it up.

“You don’t remember your own number?” the man asked, startled.” No,” Einstein answered. “Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?”

I've always been a little embarrassed to admit that I never finished learning my multiplication tables. By the time I got up to the 7’s and 8’s it just became too much for me to memorize and I found I was able to solve the problems with my current knowledge. Today I can do multiplication and division with 4 digit numbers in my head. But my mom will still sometimes should 7x9 when I’m around because I have to take 6x9 and add 9 to it. Seemed pointless to memorize. That and when don't you have a calculator these days? (computer, cell phone, used to have one built into my watch, etc)
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I've always been a little embarrassed to admit that I never finished learning my multiplication tables. By the time I got up to the 7’s and 8’s it just became too much for me to memorize and I found I was able to solve the problems with my current knowledge. Today I can do multiplication and division with 4 digit numbers in my head. But my mom will still sometimes should 7x9 when I’m around because I have to take 6x9 and add 9 to it. Seemed pointless to memorize. That and when don't you have a calculator these days? (computer, cell phone, used to have one built into my watch, etc)

I think the better question is who wears a watch these days? Haha. Old school. (I know you said used to, but still)

I fully agree with the idea that I do not remember things as well as I should because I can count on Google telling me the answer. If I'm looking up an error for work, if I only see it once or twice I cannot remember steps taken to fix it and have to search, or at the minimum look it up in my notes or personal KB.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

That's interesting. I never understood memorizing it as a kid. I always have and still do just see multiplication visually and as a pattern. I don't really know when I end up using stuff like that but I do know it comes in handy the once or twice a year I have to.
  • Options
    I still wear a watch, just not a lame calculator watch lol. You'd be amazed how often I'm asked for the time. Its easy enough to wear, and quite stylin to boot.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still wear a watch, just not a lame calculator watch lol. You'd be amazed how often I'm asked for the time. Its easy enough to wear, and quite stylin to boot.

Stylin'....sure if it's one of those expensive ones that rappers talk about. ;)
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mishra wrote: »

Einstein was also quite poor at maths, and struggled with his equations on paper, like many great theoretical physicists he imaged ideas in his head, free from the maths and equations. Stephen Hawkins has also said that his inability to write down his work has played a key role in his work. forcing him to abstract ideas and visualise them.

They both knew/know that if required they could do the paper work, but did not get tied up worrying about it while they thought about the theorises they worked on.

For some one such as my self, who has very strong reasoning skills, but is poor at retaining specific memories (typical dyslexic), the web is a huge tool. I can concentrate on learning the theories/ideas and fundamentals across many areas and interests, knowing the details are to hand if I need them.

I do think the web requires a different way of working. the classic "book worms" are already falling behind, now the skills are not to remember data, but being able to use data.

This idea is not new, several science journals have reported on this a number of times over the last 2 or 3 years.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. -
    Albert Einstein

Sorry just had to :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.