Options

What hardware for home lab?

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alot of different ideas here.. for lab equipment and online.

I was thinking about purchasing 1 router and two switches for the CCENT and than the CCNA. I will not be doing the CCNP.

What do you think?

x2 2950 switches. Cisco WS-C2950G-48-EI 48 Port 2950G Switch w/ 2-Year Warranty! FULLY TESTED! | eBay

x1 2600 series 2651 router. Cisco 2600 Series 2651 ROUTER TWO FA INT CCNA CCNP CCIE (746320397290) | eBay

What do you think? Do I need any other hardware? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Do you need any hardware?
    Packet Tracer and GNS3 are enough for the CCNA, but if you really want to spend money for real gear, i think you need at least three router and three switches.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You really don't need hardware for the ccent.

This question has be answered a ton of times on the forum. I would read over the threads before you buy any equipment.
    You will want a few routers. You could get away with the 2500's if you don't plan on going to ccnp. I did all my labs on 3 2500's and a 2600 as a frame relay.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to knock out the CCENT and than jump right into the CCNA.

I have used packet tracer before but I would much rather use 'actual' hardware and real IOS vice the PT. (gives me a sense of realism which I need)

But my main question is... With the 2600 routers and 2900 switches would that suffice? If so, how many of each do I need? I read someone wrote x3 of each, but that seems an awful lot just for the CCNA.

I do not plan on taking the CCNP just focusing on the CCNA.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    xkaijinx wrote: »
    I have used packet tracer before but I would much rather use 'actual' hardware and real IOS vice the PT. (gives me a sense of realism which I need)
    I hear you. Years ago I started studying for CCNA with simulators and rapidly lost interest. Last year I built a physical lab and it totally changed my perspective as it kept me motivated. Some of us need to see the lights flashing I guess. If you have the $$ then go for the lab.
  • Options
    xkaijinx wrote: »
    I am going to knock out the CCENT and than jump right into the CCNA.

But my main question is... With the 2600 routers and 2900 switches would that suffice? If so, how many of each do I need? I read someone wrote x3 of each, but that seems an awful lot just for the CCNA.

I do not plan on taking the CCNP just focusing on the CCNA.

CCENT is mainly about setting up security on the devices so PT or real equipment is good.

3-4 routers and 3 switches are correct.

3-4 routers so you can setup a frame relay and 2-3 routers to setup different routing protocols.

you can get by with 2 switches, but I would say 3 2950's to really get a feel for spanning tree and vlans. 2900 and 2950's are two classes of switches so watch on your wording. You want 2950's.

It all gets down to your budget. Everyone has their risks. I buy equipment without warranty's. If they show a post screen on their page, its good enough for me. You can get 2950's for $50 and non xm routers (2500, 2600's) for dirt cheap. 2600xm routers for 80-120 bucks depending on the model and seller.

Most people here tend to stay away from prebuilt packages. You will save money and learn much more by researching your equipment.

Remember the CCNA is not like taking MCP. 6 pieces of equipment isn't all that much considering its networking cert. Not like MS where you can throw a server os into a vm on an old laptop.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I hear you. Years ago I started studying for CCNA with simulators and rapidly lost interest. Last year I built a physical lab and it totally changed my perspective as it kept me motivated. Some of us need to see the lights flashing I guess. If you have the $$ then go for the lab.

I feel ya. When I was taking the cisco acad and we were using PT I felt like I was learning more how to make PT work than what it would be like on real equipment. I never could get PT setup right for frame relay.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    If you've had to no experience on real kit then you really need to buy a real lab.

3 routers + 1 to act as a frame relay switch (i.e. 2521), + 2 x 2950 = all you need for great CCNA lab

look out for 1721 or 1751 can pick these up for peanuts.

Best of luck
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was taking the cisco acad and we were using PT I felt like I was learning more how to make PT work
    I agree with you on this. I use PT when I'm at work, sometimes it doesn't work when I know fully that it'll work on my lab at home. I stopped using PT and just lab when I'm at home. Much better to have the physical equipment in front of you.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After reading a few blogs about setting up a CCNA lab; I was suggested to get 2 1720 series routers and a 2950 switch.

Would love everyone's opinion on this setup.
  • Options
    angel.oaangel.oa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    as long as the 1720 have serial cards they are good and with 1 switch you will not be able to try (r)stp, vtp, trunking, etherchannel, etc. in a practical way so 2 2950 would be a lot better (3 are obviously better but you should be ok with 2 for the CCNA icon_study.gif)
    Currently reading :study:

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide
    JNCIA - Junos Study Guide - Parts 1 & 2
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    angel.oa wrote: »
    as long as the 1720 have serial cards they are good and with 1 switch you will not be able to try (r)stp, vtp, trunking, etherchannel, etc. so 2 2950 would be a lot better (3 are obviously better but you should be ok with 2 for the CCNA icon_study.gif)

Thanks. I'll go with two 2950's then.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    get 1721 or 1751 (not 1720 or 1750) difference is the amount of ram and flash.

1721 and 1751 can run 12.4t ios
    1720 and 1750 can't as not enough flash and aren't upgradable.

Can get them 1721/1751 from $10.
    1760's are similiar but rackable start around $50
    17651/1760 can have voice capabilities if you install a pdvm (dsp module).

Also get 2600xm's not plain 2600's especially if you are planning to go beyond CCNA.
    Again its for the extra ram and flash which is needed for the more recent ios versions.

You could use 2500's if you have to but they don't have all the features you need for ccna.

If you have the extra cash you might want to get a 3550 (L3) switch and one or two 2950's.

Another option is to use the free online labs.
    Yes you need to book time in advance but says having to spend cash until you are really sure you want to go beyond ccna.

Free CCNA Workbook » Free CCNA Lab
    Community Lab - Packet Life

Have a look at the hardware the free labs use and also the rack rental places have.

Free CCNA Workbook » Free CCNA Lab
    Community Lab - Packet Life
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014