Virtual vs Actual experience

cm101cm101 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am working on the course material using a virtual software package. I'm enjoying the course work, but can't help but feel inadequate when considering the fact that I have never actually physically dealt with opening up a computer... used a multimeter... etc etc. Anyone having the same problem? Chris- Melbourne, Australia
icon_confused.gif

Comments

• 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    What i did for my A+ Exams was go to local PC repair shops and ask for any spare bits they didnt want and have a play about with them as here in the UK if you want to **** any used parts it costs money for business, so i took it off there hands and diagnosed all the faults on the components i was playing with :)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    cm101 wrote:
    I am working on the course material using a virtual software package. I'm enjoying the course work, but can't help but feel inadequate when considering the fact that I have never actually physically dealt with opening up a computer... used a multimeter... etc etc. Anyone having the same problem? Chris- Melbourne, Australia
    icon_confused.gif

No, but I was fortunate to have held a couple jobs where my experience of tearing about my own equipment back in the early 80's allowed me an opportunity to 'practice' at the various jobs I held growing up.

Perhaps work in a mentor or co-op type program or just volunteer some time to shadow or get your your hands on equipment.

I wasn't aware that there were training packages to 'train' a person in hardware without physically touching parts????
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • hpl104hpl104 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the same problem. I am a graduate student and worked as a computer lab assistant my dept. (sociology) for my graduate assistantship. I have experience performing minor hardware and software troubleshooting but have opened up a computer only once. I recently passed my A+ certification exam using practice tests from MeasureUp and a book by Prentice Hall. It took me 2 years preparing for the exam because I have to focus on my course work and write papers as I am in graduate school (I passed my OS on the first attempt and HW on the 2nd attempt).