Options

DoD Information Assurance Scholarship

FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I'm currently in a pickle regarding my career right now. For some background info, I am currently finishing up a B.S. in Network Security (one more semester after this one) and I have been employed at a technology service provider (MSP) doing mainly network operations type stuff for the past 2 years while in school full time.

Yesterday I went to an informational meeting about a scholarship/internship opportunity that has come up with my college.
Info found here:
::::IASP::::HOME::::

Although, I don't really need the scholarship money to help me get through my last semester of school...I'm thinking that the internship part of the opportunity would be valuable and sort of open a door to government work for me. I'm on the fence about sending in an application, because as soon as I send that in I have signed an agreement to work for the DoD after that last semester is over.

What is your opinion/experience with government employment? Is this something that would be worth leaving my current position for? I don't get to do as much with security as I would like in my current position and I know this would allow me to get a foot in the door into InfoSEC.

All posts are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    To me it wouldn't be worth it for one semester as that could be filled with a 6 month temp job with a DoD agency. I would only do it if you are considering grad school, in which case, you would have to take a semester break between your graduation and starting back. The internship only happens during the summer breaks from what I have been reading and you will most likely have to relocate for it.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think its a pretty good oportunity. A lot of people have a hard time finding a job, so getting one with the government is not a bad thing. You also get a clearance out of it. If you decide the government isnt for you, youll still have that clearance which can get you plenty of jobs as a contractor.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe you would also be required to work for the government after completing your degree. Couple of things to consider:

1. Relocating - Are you willing to do that? As others have said, you will probably have to relocate.
    2. Clearance Requirement - Depending on the agency, you are looking at a TS and possibly a Counterintel and/or Full Scope Polygraph
    3. Competition - Stiff competition for these scholarships....

Good luck! I would do it!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff