Any certifications that are obtainable from strictly using Transcender or CBTNuggets?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am studying for another certification at the moment, but I was just curious if there are any IT certifications out there that you can just use the video training for and have a decent chance at passing

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you mean no labbing or no real world experience?

I did A+ using only Transcender combined with prior knowledge (no books or other study materials). Other than that I've always read a book and usually watched videos to nail things down. Most exams also required me to tinker with my virtual environment to get it all down.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Tough call since you have all the CompTIA. I would think the next certs would be Microsoft certs.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was just wondering for myself and for others. I just like discussing different certification strategies and this is one I haven't seen a lot of so I thought I would bring it up.

Thanks for participating.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have never used video training for certs, so my input here may be worthless. However, in my opinion, given significant experience with the technology in question and good study material (I'm thinking books, but video or audio may work, too), I think most of the Comptia and lower-level MS certs are attainable without labs. I have only labbed for one cert in my career (70-643), so I at least see skipping the lab as feasible for most tests.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sure, with enough real world experience you can pass them by watching videos to fill in the gaps. But, most certs are more difficult than what a bunch of videos can teach you. I guess you could pass by just the videos, if you were really good. But, it wouldn't be a high score pass. They cover a lot, but not all of the stuff you need to know.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PC509 wrote: »
    Sure, with enough real world experience you can pass them by watching videos to fill in the gaps. But, most certs are more difficult than what a bunch of videos can teach you. I guess you could pass by just the videos, if you were really good. But, it wouldn't be a high score pass. They cover a lot, but not all of the stuff you need to know.

I'm going to go with this theme here...

There is no certification worth having that you can obtain just from watching videos or anyone would do it. There are only two worthwhile motives to get certified:
    1. To break into a field or new specialization and demonstrate the knowledge you have obtained through study and lab. This is how a mid-level sys admin might become a sr. level sys admin in charge of the company's Exchange infrastructure.
    2. To validate your work experience. In this case just watching a few videos on the areas of the technology you don't regularly use might be enough.

The MCITP: Desktop Administrator 7 is a perfect example. I took the Windows 7 MCTS exam when it was in beta. All I did was watch some videos on the new features and read a few blog posts. Passed with a high 700 score. The Pro exam was harder and I had to do lab work, but with labing and some articles I passed in the high 800s. And keep in mind these were beta exams, so there was no study material for them. But it was my years of experience that got me by. So your question kind of doesn't make sense unless it is better qualified.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only think of CompTIA exams when I think of not doing hands on.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds good.

I heard CBT Nuggets had a good video for CCNA. Infact a while back there were some people saying they just used the video and passed the exam. So it's not just Comptia, at least in my limited knowledge.

***It might of been the CCENT now that I think of it.