Options

rip for class A networks?

thedude666thedude666 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have a question about configuring RIP for an internet routable network (not in 10/8, 172.16-31/16 or 192.168.x/24).

For example 1.1.1.0/27 and 2.2.2.0/30.
How do I configure this?

network 1.1.1.0
network 2.2.2.0

?

This is a class A network so 1.0.0.0 and 2.0.0.0 might be the correct answers.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    You always enter RIP networks on a classful boundary (or RIP will convert it for you), so for your example you would just enter the following:

NETWORK 1.0.0.0
    NETWORK 2.0.0.0

And remember that RIP does auto summary, so be careful with that for discontiguous(spelling?) networks.
  • Options
    You always enter RIP networks on a classful boundary (or RIP will convert it for you), so for your example you would just enter the following:

NETWORK 1.0.0.0
    NETWORK 2.0.0.0

And remember that RIP does auto summary, so be careful with that for discontiguous(spelling?) networks.

That was quick :) Good point about the auto summary. However in this case it would make any difference(correct me if I am wrong).
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Auto summary would make no difference here (and it is on for RIPv2 if I remember). I just ran into some issues labbing when I had a 10. network in the middle and 172.16 networks on both ends of a couple of routers. But that's a subject for another day.
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    You need to use RIP version 2 because those network are on different mask.
  • Options
    sizeon wrote: »
    You need to use RIP version 2 because those network are on different mask.
    While they are indeed on a different mask, I think this would still work as expected with RIP v1.
    RIPv1 is classful so the class is 1.0.0.0/8 and 2.0.0.0/8. So these routes would be announced. So purely theoretically this should work if I am correct.
    However in real life this isn't a really clean setup :)

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong!