Options

New position starting on Monday!

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well I finally did it! After a 2.5 month lay off (I was a little discrete about being laid off because my last position didnt last long and I was sort of ashamed because I didnt know why it happened) I start my new position as a Network Administrator for a manufacturing company (multiple offices in the area), I will be part of a team of 2-3 people in house and report to the Director there. This will be a new experience for me as I've never been part of a in-house IT team, I've always been part of a "outsourced" group managing different clients but this seems like a good experience. I met some of the employees and they seem really cool and down to Earth and we hit it off right away. I just signed my offer letter, I will be getting paid more (good thing! AND benefits!) and working with things that I am experienced with and things I want to learn as well, AND the commute isn't bad its within 10 miles of my house which is awesome! So excited to get started and hopefully it is a keeper! =)

Comments

• Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Congrats icon_smile.gif
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats. i also will be starting a new position on monday 1/30
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds like a win. Congrats and best of luck.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Well I finally did it! After a 2.5 month lay off (I was a little discrete about being laid off because my last position didnt last long and I was sort of ashamed because I didnt know why it happened) I start my new position as a Network Administrator for a manufacturing company (multiple offices in the area), I will be part of a team of 2-3 people in house and report to the Director there. This will be a new experience for me as I've never been part of a in-house IT team, I've always been part of a "outsourced" group managing different clients but this seems like a good experience. I met some of the employees and they seem really cool and down to Earth and we hit it off right away. I just signed my offer letter, I will be getting paid more (good thing! AND benefits!) and working with things that I am experienced with and things I want to learn as well, AND the commute isn't bad its within 10 miles of my house which is awesome! So excited to get started and hopefully it is a keeper! =)

Good for you. Dont worry about the last job, it didn't work out and things happen. Knuckle down on the new job, yes sir no sir, three bags full sir. Dont be late for work, mix well, do what the others do, avoid conflict with anyone and dont jump to conclusions about anyone or anything even if someone is being an ass. You may need to learn to win that person over. You are new, they are not, and even if everyone around you says they are no good, when you finally blow cover and say the same it will be to the one person in the department who actually likes them..and you..are the new guy!

Three months of sucking it up and you will be fine. Be helpful, write it all down and dont ask someone to repeat themselves three times. Observe rules, dont talk too much, be friendly and work long hours. Abandon all your cert plans for now and concentrate on learning that new job.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats! Also welcome to the in-house IT world. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it! I will let you know how my first day/week goes! I am really excited!!!
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats on the new gig!! Forget about the last postion and just focus on the current. I second what Turgon said. Just keep your nose clean and focus on learning the new job. Don't worry about certs until you are comfortable with your new network. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good for you. Dont worry about the last job, it didn't work out and things happen. Knuckle down on the new job, yes sir no sir, three bags full sir. Dont be late for work, mix well, do what the others do, avoid conflict with anyone and dont jump to conclusions about anyone or anything even if someone is being an ass. You may need to learn to win that person over. You are new, they are not, and even if everyone around you says they are no good, when you finally blow cover and say the same it will be to the one person in the department who actually likes them..and you..are the new guy!

Three months of sucking it up and you will be fine. Be helpful, write it all down and dont ask someone to repeat themselves three times. Observe rules, dont talk too much, be friendly and work long hours. Abandon all your cert plans for now and concentrate on learning that new job.

Couldn't say it better Turgon, I was actually giving my boss gift cards during occassion on top of sucking major ass, don't complain and do as what I told except LA traffic is horrible, I stay long hour and yeah if someone hates you because they feel insecure that someone will take their job just be more humble and call them Sir, break the ice etc. etc. it takes alot of patient and kissing ass to keep a job this days.
  • Options
    Archimedes2012Archimedes2012 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you. Wonderful news. If I may ask what career path did you have to get in this position? I just got hired as a Computer Technician but hope to be a Network Admin or Engineer.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! Turgon has sound advice (per usual)!
  • Options
    Well I got my first week done and it was really easy going. First day was orientation with talking about company policies and benefits and junk and the rest of the week was just learning what they do on a day-to-day basis. My co-workers are so easy going and they make the job a lot more comfortable and stress free. I look like I am the youngest guy there, which seems to happen to me every time I start a new job. A lot of the guys have been there for 10+ years together so they are really close and continuity seems to flow well.The call volumes were not that high especially on Friday (must've been a quiet week? Because they are on a hiring spree). The team leader is also very cool, and he gave me a little project for me to research for him and possibly deploy when the time comes, so I was pretty happy that I became entrusted with something like that already (even though it's nothing major) just researching a new deployment strategy of Windows because they use the old fashion method of using disc and waiting for the install to complete. I did not really take any calls or handle support, just pretty much shadowed phone calls and typical troubleshooting. Next week I will probably be in the help desk call queue and doing more in person troubleshooting. But overall seems like a cool and laid back work environment and I hope this is a keeper.
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Well I got my first week done and it was really easy going. First day was orientation with talking about company policies and benefits and junk and the rest of the week was just learning what they do on a day-to-day basis. My co-workers are so easy going and they make the job a lot more comfortable and stress free. I look like I am the youngest guy there, which seems to happen to me every time I start a new job. A lot of the guys have been there for 10+ years together so they are really close and continuity seems to flow well.The call volumes were not that high especially on Friday (must've been a quiet week? Because they are on a hiring spree). The team leader is also very cool, and he gave me a little project for me to research for him and possibly deploy when the time comes, so I was pretty happy that I became entrusted with something like that already (even though it's nothing major) just researching a new deployment strategy of Windows because they use the old fashion method of using disc and waiting for the install to complete. I did not really take any calls or handle support, just pretty much shadowed phone calls and typical troubleshooting. Next week I will probably be in the help desk call queue and doing more in person troubleshooting. But overall seems like a cool and laid back work environment and I hope this is a keeper.
    sounds nice
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man, I'm sorry I missed this thread.

Congratulations on landing employment and also a good successful first week.

The only advice I can give you, and this is coming from a guy that has always been in in-house IT, is to be as apolitical as possible. Don't get sucked into to the office politics (lest you be sucked into a potentially losing side.) Just go in, do your job to the best of your abilities, learn as much as possible and be on the lookout for opportunities that could potentially get you promoted. (If you think that none exists, that's when you create your own.) I think you'll find that when you do that, you will find in-house shops to be a lot better than MSPs. If you really want to grow in the company you're in, LEARN the business you support as well. You want to add value to your current position and also it might help you NOT get laid off again.

Congratulations and well done!

It's funny you mention three months, because that's normally the probation period in the US for many jobs (corporate or public sector...though mine was four months.) That above advice is pretty much the rules you follow when you start a new job because if anyone is gonna get canned, it is during the probation period and I've actually seen people NOT make the probation period for a multitude of reasons (poor performance, coming in late, not getting along with coworkers, etc.) Even after the probie period is over, you still want to show those positive qualities for another three months, just to show management that you are the real deal.

Turgon makes excellent points on this and it's so true even on this side of the pond. :)
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168

This is good advice. You want to make a good impression but you also don't want to make waves. I work with a few difficult people but I still keep it professional because it's good to keep yourself Teflon when it comes to office politics.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! There is a lot of good advice here. I really like ERP's advice on getting involved in the office politics. Just make sure you hone your reputation as being someone that solves problems diligently and enables others to do their work.

It sounds like you are in a good spot now. It is always stressful when things don't end well, especially when you don't know why. I have found that my job moves, even when not of my own choosing, are for the better in the long-run... even if I feel crumby about it in the short-term. Again, congrats... and seize the day!
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    chininochinino Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, RomBus...wish you the best in your new job.
    My 2014 Goals:

MCSA Windows Server 2012: 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412 [ ]
    VMware Certified Associate-Data Center Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    CompTIA Storage+: SGO-001 [ ]