Options

Got The Job. Ah!!!!!!!

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
For anyone following my Microsoft escapades, 3 days ago I was contacted by a local ISP/MSP working with clients nation and even world wide now, 15 miles away.

Interviewed today, myself and the main engineer there talked for quite abit and my expected <1 hour interview almost went to 2. Everyone seemed to like my energy (Passion, passion passion) and what I've done in Healthcare Datacenter Operations and with college (And, for all you wondering, my aspirations with WGU).

Awesome group doing everything from in house router, security device and switch configs to MPLS customization for clients to VPN solutions to find/fix support for T1/T3/ADSL/DSL/etc circuits to QoS + VoIP deployment to... Gah! It's a networking wet dream.

Going in Monday to sign the papers and work out logistics. I got a call back 1 hour after the interview. I'd say that is pretty much 95-98% certainty now!

I'd really like to thank this forum and eveyone participating in posting here. All the knowledge and inspiration I've had to go from being a barely employed Intern to now NOC/Network Engineering in 2 years is because of the contributions everyone makes here on a daily basis.

Rock on Tech Exams!
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Good for you.
  • Options
    getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats Awesome. Congrats!
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    bugme1bugme1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats what is the salary + benefits?

what else will you be doing? is there user support work in this role? also how many hours?

Also to go from a barely Intern to a noc/engineer in 2 years how many companies did you have to change or did you start in your current place and stay in there for 2 years before getting this role?
  • Options
    Great question.

60k + full benefits.
    4/10 days. Full time, 40 a week.

My work history...

2 years of freelance consulting work and CSR seasonal contracts (Nintendo and other companies)
    2 years of Internships (3 in a row) with my technical college + schooling full time.
    6 months Helpdesk/ Desktop Support
    8 months Level 1 to 2 NOC in Healthcare.

I genuinely consider my first 4 years of experience as solid work experience. It wasn't dicking around as a teenager doing "consulting work", I contracted out to many companies on 1-3 month temp roles doing tech work while doing one on one consulting full time, I was young and was put in a scary situation where I had to make my way on my own before I was technically an adult.

The next 2 years was unpaid internships doing raw networking in my colleges lab environments, while continuing my freelance work with my clients, making substantial money due to the area I did this in. Intership 1 was Desktop Support/ A+ work, second one was Windows Server/ Linux work, third one was a full networking environment. My schools program was either work study or internships. They really prepared me for a real world job market, I couldn't have used 10,000$ of tuition better anywhere else.

After 4 years of solid self and temp employment, I got my first corporate role. They quickly realized those 4 years were not a fib to get my foot in the door and quickly and rapidly escalated me from Tier 1 helpdesk to Consulting in healthcare IT.

I was head hunted by a hospital in the area half a year through, I went from 25k to 45k. It may surprise you to know, I made 60-70k a year after 1099 style "taxes" because I was right by a rich, affluent area. I honestly contemplated starting my own business, but the lack of corporate/business exposure would eventually be my down fall.

8 months into this new role, I'm contacted by a ISP/MSP and offered an interview.

And here I am.

I never stopped moving and never gave up my ambition. I was at a CCNA level of understanding, troubleshooting and configuration 2 years ago and I am beyond that now.

Also, it really helps to be passionate, socially intelligent and a sharp speaker. I believe that alone gave me huge advantages over my counterparts.
  • Options
    bugme1bugme1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    Great question.

60k + full benefits.
    4/10 days. Full time, 40 a week.

My work history...

2 years of freelance consulting work and CSR seasonal contracts (Nintendo and other companies)
    2 years of Internships (3 in a row) with my technical college + schooling full time.
    6 months Helpdesk/ Desktop Support
    8 months Level 1 to 2 NOC in Healthcare.

I genuinely consider my first 4 years of experience as solid work experience. It wasn't dicking around as a teenager doing "consulting work", I contracted out to many companies on 1-3 month temp roles doing tech work while doing one on one consulting full time, I was young and was put in a scary situation where I had to make my way on my own before I was technically an adult.

The next 2 years was unpaid internships doing raw networking in my colleges lab environments, while continuing my freelance work with my clients, making substantial money due to the area I did this in. Intership 1 was Desktop Support/ A+ work, second one was Windows Server/ Linux work, third one was a full networking environment. My schools program was either work study or internships. They really prepared me for a real world job market, I couldn't have used 10,000$ of tuition better anywhere else.

After 4 years of solid self and temp employment, I got my first corporate role. They quickly realized those 4 years were not a fib to get my foot in the door and quickly and rapidly escalated me from Tier 1 helpdesk to Consulting in healthcare IT.

I was head hunted by a hospital in the area half a year through, I went from 25k to 45k. It may surprise you to know, I made 60-70k a year after 1099 style "taxes" because I was right by a rich, affluent area. I honestly contemplated starting my own business, but the lack of corporate/business exposure would eventually be my down fall.

8 months into this new role, I'm contacted by a ISP/MSP and offered an interview.

And here I am.

I never stopped moving and never gave up my ambition. I was at a CCNA level of understanding, troubleshooting and configuration 2 years ago and I am beyond that now.

Also, it really helps to be passionate, socially intelligent and a sharp speaker. I believe that alone gave me huge advantages over my counterparts.

Awesome, I am guessing that there is over time in this role? have they discussed a salary regarding this? also what are your future plans?
  • Options
    bugme1 wrote: »
    Awesome, I am guessing that there is over time in this role? have they discussed a salary regarding this? also what are your future plans?

Overtime is something I didn't ask about, to be honest this is an aspiring Network Engineers wet dream of a role. I couldn't care less about the pay.

Future plans?

I want to be the engineer that gets the calls at 4am because the Jr. tech doesn't know what to do.

And a Lexus.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    darkerz wrote: »
    For anyone following my Microsoft escapades, 3 days ago I was contacted by a local ISP/MSP working with clients nation and even world wide now, 15 miles away.

Interviewed today, myself and the main engineer there talked for quite abit and my expected <1 hour interview almost went to 2. Everyone seemed to like my energy (Passion, passion passion) and what I've done in Healthcare Datacenter Operations and with college (And, for all you wondering, my aspirations with WGU).

Awesome group doing everything from in house router, security device and switch configs to MPLS customization for clients to VPN solutions to find/fix support for T1/T3/ADSL/DSL/etc circuits to QoS + VoIP deployment to... Gah! It's a networking wet dream.

Going in Monday to sign the papers and work out logistics. I got a call back 1 hour after the interview. I'd say that is pretty much 95-98% certainty now!

I'd really like to thank this forum and eveyone participating in posting here. All the knowledge and inspiration I've had to go from being a barely employed Intern to now NOC/Network Engineering in 2 years is because of the contributions everyone makes here on a daily basis.

Rock on Tech Exams!

Congratulations. You have worked hard for this opportunity.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Congratulations. You have worked hard for this opportunity.

I've read a lot of your posts over the years and have taken advice, tech tips, etc. from a select few users to heart, you are one of them. You rock Turgon.