Options

Host to Server via Switch.

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi All,

I actually posted this a while back and didn't get much feedback at all....maybe you are all feeling refreshed after the new year icon_smile.gif
I just want to get an understanding of the following.

If for example I have a L2 Switch with 2 PCs (PC1 and PC2) and a Server connected.

The 2 PCs need to connect to the server to get data etc. If PC1 and PC2 request data at exactly the same time, does the server serve this data to them simultaneously? Are both PCs able to send their data at the same time through the server switch port?

Can the server switch port create a separate virtual circuit to each machine at the same time or can one the server only communicate to one PC at a time? I’m just trying to understand the goings on if multiple machines are trying to communicate with each other all at the same time in a switched environment and if communications can only ever be two way?
I mean, what happens in the above scenario if I have 24 PCs requesting info from the server at the same time?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Look at it this way, what does a switch look at in the frame? Does it really care about communication flows? No, not really, it just forwards based on destination MAC. There isn't a source/destination "virtual circuit" so to speak. Its all FIFO (first in first out) based. What gets served and when though is a function of the application running on the server. Its not a L2 function that would involve the switch.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Basically one of the frames sent from either PC1 or PC2 will reach the switch first.. It'll happen so fast, but in terms of millseconds there will most likely be a difference. If the switch has a bunch of frames it needs to send out, then it'll buffer them.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Install wireshark and watch happens between your pc and your switch/router.

Have a look at how ethernet and a switch work especially on CSMA/CD.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Make note that CSMA/CD would only be used when a link has an issue negotiating duplex and reverts to half-duplex. In our world of Full-Duplex, CSMA/CD is not used.