Options

2 year community college + BAS Information Technology and Administration Management.

Gman91Gman91 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently I am attending a community college and majoring in Network Administration, once done with my 2 years here I am transferring to a university to get my BAS Information Technology and Administartion Management. I know i will start off entry level like help desk or NOC. What my question is, my long term goals are either microsoft or starting my own computer repair and personal contractor (networking). I know microsoft requires a BS in Computer Science, my 2 year degree will not transfer into this, I am only qualified to transfer into a BAS. Long term, what am i looking at for peak careers with an AAS and my BAS? Peak wages? I will probably get more certs once I am done with my AAS.

Comments

• Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    If you really want to run a computer shop, you don't really need a degree for that. You need good people skills to get the business and the rest of it is just hands on experience plus studying specific things you need to know or hiring people who have that specific knowledge. A degree will be very helpful for landing jobs at larger corporations (although many now use 3rd parties for a good chunk of IT work) and government positions. To work for a 3rd party outsourcing or IT firm, you need to have the specific skills they need to get the job done -- certifications will help but especially having experience so they know you can get the work done quickly without much training. But how do you get experience. Easy -- find a consultant that's overworked, tired of being oncall, and cannot afford a salaried employee. Work for him part time while you go to school or full time for a short while to say you have experience. Also get your resume to local recruiters/professional placement services--find a good one as not all of them are have good connections for IT. If both the above fail, then project work will be your savior. Anyone can get hired for short term project work.
  • Options
    I'm more or less worried that I am wasting my time getting my AAS and transferring to a university to get my BAS. Honestly I was going this route thinking i would save some time and transfer to a University to finish up my bachelors. I just want to know what I'm doing can give me a good enough educational background to find a GOOD paying job some time in the future. My personal business will take years before it becomes more than a dream. Finances are whats going to hold me back. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do. I wanna decide soon, because if I am wasting my time I wanna jump ship ASAP.
  • Options
    I went to a community college and then to a public University and saved a lot of $ that way. I do not think it's a waste of time. The big expense is the University, community college is a bargain. Don't forgot to do something fun either, like study abroad. You only live once and in terms of your total debt, it's not going to make or break you to live a little! Unless you are going to go to a really big name school that's nationally recognized, then I don't think it's going to matter much what accredited school you get your degree from and even less where you spent the first two years. Obviously, I went for the Associates then University direction because of the reduced costs. Every month when I pay my loans off, I am thankful I did! Beware that an Applied associates may contain credits that do not transfer. I made sure my local CC had a credit transfer agreement with some local Universities and nearly every credit transfered
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In IT a degree isn't going to make or break you as far as making a good living. Be good at what you do and more importantly be able to self yourself to a company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    See The CC I am attending does transfer to my local university (most majors) The network Admin Major transfers but I have to do ITAM which is 4 core classes to get my BAS that the CC does not offer. I talked to my adviser we have a meeting Thursday and we are going to discuss what My possibilities are. I am getting My AAS first also to cut down costs.
  • Options
    YVCC is the community college and Central Washington University - CWU is the university.
  • Options
    It sounds like a good plan to me.

Some of the really good jobs do require a degree and getting an education that won't leave you hurting for the next decade is a smart choice. Don't forget about the overseas trips, though. Even if you just take a trip by yourself or do a language immersion one summer. Every University student must do that or you'll lack the required storytelling skills. And remember no matter how terrible a class may seem, there will one day be a job you hate even worse and having a solid education will help get you out of it faster!!!!! Maybe I'll retire from IT and become a motivational speaker icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    It sounds like a good plan to me.

Some of the really good jobs do require a degree and getting an education that won't leave you hurting for the next decade is a smart choice. Don't forget about the overseas trips, though. Even if you just take a trip by yourself or do a language immersion one summer. Every University student must do that or you'll lack the required storytelling skills. And remember no matter how terrible a class may seem, there will one day be a job you hate even worse and having a solid education will help get you out of it faster!!!!! Maybe I'll retire from IT and become a motivational speaker icon_lol.gif

The AAS and BAS? or just dropping the community college and going straight for my BS in computer science? Oh and that job your speaking of, I think i may currently have it lol. I've been working in restaurant's since i was 15, let me tell you, I don't know how people can make a career out of it. It is so depressing and stressful.
  • Options
    In IT a degree isn't going to make or break you as far as making a good living. Be good at what you do and more importantly be able to self yourself to a company.

Thank you for the advice. I grew up in a pretty low income family. I have been through some very rough times. I don't want myself or my family to endure something similar when I get to that point of my life. I want to be able to live comfortably and not have to live paycheck to paycheck.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are advantages to doing AAS, transferring to a 4-year school, and then completing a BAS or BS.

- You save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    - Net result is the same - you get the paper
    - You might be getting the hands-on with Microsoft, Cisco, etc. as part of the community college curiculum which prepares you for certs
    - With an AAS and a cert or two, you should have no trouble at all finding a helpdesk job WHILE you complete your BAS or BS. You can go ahead and get some experience and be in a better position when you complete your next degree.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    There are advantages to doing AAS, transferring to a 4-year school, and then completing a BAS or BS.

- You save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    - Net result is the same - you get the paper
    - You might be getting the hands-on with Microsoft, Cisco, etc. as part of the community college curiculum which prepares you for certs
    - With an AAS and a cert or two, you should have no trouble at all finding a helpdesk job WHILE you complete your BAS or BS. You can go ahead and get some experience and be in a better position when you complete your next degree.

THIS is my plan. Thank you very much. I went and talked to my academic advisor today, He teaches most of the IT classes (Networking admin) and he is a awesome dude. The core classes for the major at YVCC are as listed

IT 142 Network Operating Systems
    IT 143 Cisco I
    IT 144 Cisco II
    IT 145 Advanced Microsoft Windows
    IT 146 Windows Server
    IT 243 Cisco III
    IT 244 Cisco IV
    IT 249 Network Security

Now My advisor said The cisco class will get me 100% prepared for my CCNA, He also mentioned a few other classes that would get me prepared for my CompITA and a few other certs. He said most employers look at is the B in BS or BAS and your certs/experience, He said honestly the BAS and BS would look almost identical to an employer unless job requirements state one or the other. As for a mom and pops business the Employer would recognize the Cisco and Microsoft names so those certs would stick out to them.