Options

Though of Switching from Net Admin to Security at WGU

ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,
Want to get some feedback on how much harder the Security emphasis is than the Net Admin at WGU?

I ask as I am wanting to move more towards my passion of networking and Cisco, and drop out of the MS stuff. I only stared the Net Admin path as I wanted to have a more rounded skill set for future career endeavors. Now, I want to focus on what I really want to do in IT: Networking.

I just don't see myself wanting a career working with MS. I got into IT because of Cisco, and that's where I see myself. So any advice from those who are attending either path, please comment.

Thanks!
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"

Comments

• Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,
    Want to get some feedback on how much harder the Security emphasis is than the Net Admin at WGU?

I ask as I am wanting to move more towards my passion of networking and Cisco, and drop out of the MS stuff. I only stared the Net Admin path as I wanted to have a more rounded skill set for future career endeavors. Now, I want to focus on what I really want to do in IT: Networking.

I just don't see myself wanting a career working with MS. I got into IT because of Cisco, and that's where I see myself. So any advice from those who are attending either path, please comment.

Thanks!

Thats weird because I did the exact opposite, switched from Security to Net Admin. I am a Sys Admin, but I was a Network Admin prior to go to WGU. Now I don't touch network equipment. Plus someone said and I believe I checked also, the degree is the same no matter the concentration. It's where you want to go career wise that is up to you.

I got one more cert to go before MCITP:SA and then I'm done with Microsoft. Even though I feel the same way as you about Cisco I feel like the Microsoft certs are necessary in order to keep some job opportunities open. Judging by your Certs now and your A.S Degree, if you picked the regular IT program, you could be done sooner if that is your goal. I think if you are passionate enough which you sound like you are; you can do Cisco anytime.
    ----

Sorry man, to answer your question, the MS route looks easier between the two to me. But go with what you like; you can't go wrong. :) Good luck!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I did the exact switch the OP is considering, and the CCNA is kicking my butt
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I did the exact switch the OP is considering, and the CCNA is kicking my butt

That's good to hear Mike and I don't mean that in a bad way. What that tells me is your are learning the material and learning to cope with failure. You'll get it eventually and once you do it will be schweet.