Do I really need anything else to study for CCNA?

southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have all the texts (Lammle, Odom). My lab has 3x2600 (non-xm) routers, including one for a frame relay, 2x2950 (12x 24x), and a 3550. I plan on taking the test in a month or so (composite). I was wondering if it were advisable to purchase anything else? I see the point of a Access Server (2509rj), or the Boson practice exams, or possibly something else. I have roughly $300 to play with. Can anyone think of anything more useful?

Comments

• SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Lab seems fine and although the Access Server is nice to have practice exams are the way to go here IMHO. When I studied for the CCNA I used both Boson and Transcender.

Transcender Cisco 640-802 Exam | CCNA Certification Training Products

640-802 CCNA Practice Exam | Boson

HTH

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    You're all set. I just passed the CCNA (ICND2) last week. I used the Odom books, CBT Nuggets, Packet Tracer, and Techexams. icon_cool.gif
    I got a 933/1000 on the exam. I was very disappointed when I took it. Everyone had me believing it was going to be this extremely difficult test, and it wasn't. It was actually quite easy. But I was well prepared. Are you? icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Also, I would definitely go with the practice exams over the access server. And if you do decide to get an AS, go with a Xyplex Maxserver. They can be bought on Ebay for around $40-50 shipped. I just got one at a buy it now price for $40 shipped. Extremely happy with using it for my CCNP lab. And for practice exams, I would suggest Transcender or Boson ExSim Max. I used the Transcender exams and felt they were very good. They don't have a simulator (Boson does), but the questions were very close to those on the exam (detail and context).
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I will "pile on" and say that practice exams from Boson or Transcender are the way to go. If you have $300, I would suggest both. I like each of them for different reasons, so I usually get both.
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    $300 for practice + 150 for the real exam?
    For $450 you can go 3 times for real....
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Boson practice exams and use the Cram Session from cbtnuggets. For $24 per day you have access to ALL the content on cbtnuggets. I used it for a couple of days and went through all the ICND2 videos and the Transcender and Selftest exams.
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    $300 for practice + 150 for the real exam?
    For $450 you can go 3 times for real....

The composite exam is $300, not $150. The investment is worth it to me. I would rather pass the first time. I live an hour away from the testing center, and would rather not put my junker of a car through two trips. Also, I am taking 6 days off work, the week of the exam, to study hardcore. I think getting both will be the right decision. I really appreciate the recommendations so far.

ps. I am definitely looking into that Xyplex Maxserver.
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Ooops, sorry.
    For some reason I tought we're talking about ICND...
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    If its pushing your career along (gets you a job or pay raise etc) and helps get CCNA faster, isn't it worth it ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    south wrote: »
    I have all the texts (Lammle, Odom). My lab has 3x2600 (non-xm) routers, including one for a frame relay, 2x2950 (12x 24x), and a 3550. I plan on taking the test in a month or so (composite). I was wondering if it were advisable to purchase anything else? I see the point of a Access Server (2509rj), or the Boson practice exams, or possibly something else. I have roughly $300 to play with. Can anyone think of anything more useful?

Practice exams. Boson. Hammer those and do some labbing. Study each day. Then take and pass your test. Each day read Odom, do Boson practice tests, spend 30 mins labbing.