Confused on Odom's explaing on what a routing table is

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So Odom's logic has me confused again. This is under Chp 5 Fundamentals of IP Addressing and Routing.

He is describing a routing table as
The routing table for any particular network layer protocol contains a list of network layer address grouping. Instead of a single entry in the routing table per individual destination network layer address, there is one routing table entry per group.

I'm not sure what this means. My understanding of a routing table is the destination subnet and mask entries, the interface on which traffic is sent out and the next-hop router's IP address.

Can anyone help me clear this up?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    I think he means a group=subnet (goroup of addresses).
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    I think he means a group=subnet (goroup of addresses).

True, He is referring to the network address for example 10.0.0.0/8 in your network routing table indicates a network grouping of all addresses from 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 will use this route unless a more specific route is found. It is more of a summary or a range of addresses. Individual entry will have a /32 at the end of the address this will indicate a individual destination of network layer address. For example 192.168.1.1/32 is a individual entry in a routing table.

Hope this was informative.