Access Server - NM-16A

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

Looking at setting up an Access server using a 3600 or 2600xm router along with a NM-16A.

When searching the NM's some of them have two ports which look to handle 8 sconnectiosn each, via an octal cable I think it's called. Other NM-16A cards phyiscally have 16 serial ports on them.
Are they both used for the same thing, e.g one would use an octal cable and for the other I would need to use 16 separate console cables? A bit confused as to why I'm getting two types of cards when looking at NM-16a.

Thanks

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The one requiring the octal cable is the one you need. It connects to the console ports on the other routers/switches. The one with 16 serial ports is more for a frame relay switch - s0/0, s0/1, etc...
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found an excellent video that really breaks it down:
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Lantronix SCS1620 that works fantastic with my network. I'm thinking of putting up a video on youtube on how to configure it to work on cisco devices... just not sure on any programs to do screen capture and voice recording.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I have a Lantronix SCS1620 that works fantastic with my network. I'm thinking of putting up a video on youtube on how to configure it to work on cisco devices... just not sure on any programs to do screen capture and voice recording.

This seems to be popular for youtubers...
    CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Thanks for the VID, will look later today.

Would be great for people who have a current setup to put up vids for the likes of me!

If you do go ahead and do this, please let me know.

Thanks
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I found an excellent video that really breaks it down:

That video was great, thanks a lot for that link.

Answered all questions/misunderstandings I had!
  • goalied00dgoalied00d Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you can swing it, try ebay for console servers. The NM modules are pretty pricey along with the 2500 series access routers. I managed to grab a brand spanking new APC AP9303 (32 ports, web based) for 50 bucks (using buy it now) on ebay. There are some other options out there for a fraction of the cost one of the official cisco console modules/routers go for. Search around and save some dough for better switches/routers or memory upgrades.
  • aldousaldous Member Posts: 105
    i agree with goalie i use a cyclades 32 port terminal server i bought for £30 it runs linux and everything! the 2500's and modules for console servers are so overpriced because of the lab market. Also i've always found them not as nice to use, forexample you have to telnet to each device in order first (i.e R1 first to assign it to connection 1 then R2 etc) and if anything happens you have to clear them and start again. My cyclades i can just back out to a menu and hit any device.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I use Digi CM32. I got it from eBay and paid for $35 or something like that for it. I like it, and it is faster than using 2511 and supports ssh2.
    The really cool thing is that you don't need a special cable for the console connection just a regular straight thru cable from CM32 to Cisco devices.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    Thanks for the info on the other options folks!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    thehourman wrote: »
    I use Digi CM32. I got it from eBay and paid for $35 or something like that for it. I like it, and it is faster than using 2511 and supports ssh2.
    The really cool thing is that you don't need a special cable for the console connection just a regular straight thru cable from CM32 to Cisco devices.

I ended up picking one of these up last night off of eBay. So you say they need only a straight-through cable? Does the CM32 arrange the signals internally?
  • joemendolajoemendola Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ended up picking one of these up last night off of eBay. So you say they need only a straight-through cable? Does the CM32 arrange the signals internally?

hi linuxracr.

are you still using the digi cm32? what is it like? id love to know if you can use it with securecrt and get multiple tabs.

i really dont know if i should buy a router 2511 or a digi cm32.
    hope to get a reply back

joe
    Hello Joe,

I am still using the Digi CM32, and love it. I use it with PuTTy, and the PuTTy Conection manager (similar to SecureCRT) all of the time, so yes, it is possible to use with any terminal emulation program. For more details, or to ask more questions about the DiGi, check out this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/75642-digi-cm32-console-server.html
    Hello Joe,

I am still using the Digi CM32, and love it. I use it with PuTTy, and the PuTTy Conection manager (similar to SecureCRT) all of the time, so yes, it is possible to use with any terminal emulation program. For more details, or to ask more questions about the DiGi, check out this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/75642-digi-cm32-console-server.html

first of all thanks for your reply, now im going to buy it from ebay. even though im in europe and i will come from the usa; hope it will work here; do you know if i should buy a different power cable?

i found out on youtube a video on how to reset login and password. im reading the topic you suggested above. I have to claim your solution seems to be the best ( if you think about the price of that 2511 and of this digi cm32 ).

another thing please: do you have to do something like the router 2511 also on the digi cm32 ?
    i mean:

ip host R1 2001 10.10.10.1

and so on for the other devices ( sorry for this question, but i have not found any videos on youtube about it )

greetings form italy
    joe
    hello again linuxRacr

i found on ebay a good price of a digi cm 32, that has a ZOOM TELEPHONICS V.92 PC Card 56K.
    What can i do with that card please?