Options

IPv6 Subnetting

johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
Just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Given a network 2340:1140::/26

the valid addresses in this range would be:
2340:1140::1
thru
2340:11FF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF

This is the edited portion below:

From what i can see now:
given a network 2340:1140::/26

useable addresss would be:
2340:1140::1
thru:
2340:117F:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FF7F
Does this look better?

Thanks in advance for the help
CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Yes, your revision is correct.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Along the lines of IPv6 subnetting, I've been wondering if it is correct to refer to IPv6 prefixes as subnets, since the word subnet implies a network that falls under a major classful network. As far as I am aware, IPv6 is completely classless.

Thoughts?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    So where im still kind of lost is the last quartet. from what i see from IOS FF80 thru FFFF (in the last quartet) is reserved for anycast.

Is this correct? I am having a hard time finding documentation on this.

Thanks again.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Along the lines of IPv6 subnetting, I've been wondering if it is correct to refer to IPv6 prefixes as subnets, since the word subnet implies a network that falls under a major classful network. As far as I am aware, IPv6 is completely classless.

Thoughts?

It depends on where you're getting your definition of subnets. In it's overview, RFC 950 has the following:

This memo discusses the utility of "subnets" of Internet networks,
    which are logically visible sub-sections of a single Internet
    network.

That doesn't specify classful networks, just that a subnet is a logical division of a defined network, which is pretty broad. For me, I consider a subnet to be a logical partitioning of an assigned prefix, whether that be private space, an allocation from an RIR, or an allocation from an ISP, etc.