To what depth do you memorize for ICND2?

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
The last time I took the ICND2 my score was an 811 which was so close to passing! My main focus was on simulation and I probably could have taken more time to memorize the tables in the back of the Cisco Press book. What strategies do you guys use to study for the test?

The simulation part is easy for me as I have lots of experience in my lab. I am using CBT Nuggets, Odom's book, and my lab.

I see people studying for the test very quickly and pass and I don't know how they do it. Do you guys memorize all of the following sections?
1. Review All the Key Topics
2. Complete the Tables and Lists from Memory
3. Definitions of Key Terms
4. Command Reference to Check Your Memory

I also noticed that his definitions are very wordy. I think it's best way to learn is to define it in my own words but wanted to get some feedback so I can learn the material well and pass the exam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    which tables ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    alxx wrote: »
    which tables ?
    Sorry I believe I didn't specify. The memory tables in on the CD-ROM for the Wendall Odom ICND2 Cisco Press book and the command reference tables.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    whats your lab?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    whats your lab?

2x 1721 Routers 2x 2500 series routers (outdated) and 3x 2950 switches. I also have an HP DL380 Server running Linux. A lot of times I end up using Packet Tracker, and GNS3 for routing.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You were so close to passing, this means that you answered around 70% of the questions correctly. What I recommend doing is reviewing the sheet they gave you on the percentages and study on those topics like you've never studied before. Keep in mind to study on everything else so it doesn't slip away from you.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I was also wondering this as a lot of forums I go in to people say they study and pass CCNA within 3 months and then onto CCNP and pass all three with another few months and then on to CCIE and I just like...WHAT????

I studied every evening and weekend for around 12-13 weeks for my Net+. Around 4months for my ICND1 and I've been studying for ICND2 for around 2 months now, hoping to take my CCNA exam in March. But I'm thinking that I spend too long on one section but I almost need to to have the information right there in my mind for when I need it. For example, I spent about a month just looking at VTP, STP and switching and have spent another month looking at Frame relay, EIGRP and OSPF which I'm still doing now. Hopefully just access lists to go and then I'm ready to take the exam.

But really I'm thinking, just study as much as possible and hopefully get the pass and when you get a job you're going to learn most of this stuff and be working with it everyday so that's where the real learning is.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alliasneo wrote: »
    I've been studying for ICND2 for around 2 months now.

This is a very good way to study. I think a lot of people think they can study for the CCENT/CCNA in about a month or two. I too thought I could do it in a month. Once you start studying and reviewing the information you get a good grasp on how long it takes to remember, not just cram, but properly remember the key information. A lot of people cramming may pass, but if they take a break for a period of time and then move into one of the specialty exams, they won't be able to remember the key concepts on each topic.

I think your study methods are spot on for absorbing the information.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The way I studied sounds similar to aliasgeo. Before transitioning from CCENT TO ICND2 I reviewed the ICND1 stuff first and ensured subnetting was still there with me.When I did get onto ICND2 I spent about a month on spanning-tree,VTP and switching concepts then moved onto routing and I spent a month on that. And then a further month on access lists and other topics. I did actually believe kinda half way through my study that it may take me another 4-5 months because I felt I was going slow.

I'll be candid and say I never used Odom's memory tables or command reference guides. I don't believe in that method..for me anyway. I found practicing the commands repeatedly helped me remember them. This seemed to work for me. As well as taking lots of my own notes and reading them at least 3 times a week. I also had the benefit of someone who would happily test me on any questions and asking me to explain certain concepts.Hearing yourself say the words really does infuse the concepts better. I'd even explain EIGRP and OSPF while having a shower. May sound weird but it works for me.

I also believe the main reason I passed first time was because I ditched Odom's book after flicking through a few chapters. I used cbt nuggets, trainsignal, Chris Bryant and Aaron B guides. If I had used Odom's ICND1 and 2 books, I doubt i'd have passed on either occasions. Now i know his books are popular but his methods just didn't agree with me. I hold no love for Cisco press or Mr Odom.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    MrXpert wrote: »
    The way I studied sounds similar to aliasgeo. Before transitioning from CCENT TO ICND2 I reviewed the ICND1 stuff first and ensured subnetting was still there with me.When I did get onto ICND2 I spent about a month on spanning-tree,VTP and switching concepts then moved onto routing and I spent a month on that. And then a further month on access lists and other topics. I did actually believe kinda half way through my study that it may take me another 4-5 months because I felt I was going slow.

I'll be candid and say I never used Odom's memory tables or command reference guides. I don't believe in that method..for me anyway. I found practicing the commands repeatedly helped me remember them. This seemed to work for me. As well as taking lots of my own notes and reading them at least 3 times a week. I also had the benefit of someone who would happily test me on any questions and asking me to explain certain concepts.Hearing yourself say the words really does infuse the concepts better. I'd even explain EIGRP and OSPF while having a shower. May sound weird but it works for me.

I also believe the main reason I passed first time was because I ditched Odom's book after flicking through a few chapters. I used cbt nuggets, trainsignal, Chris Bryant and Aaron B guides. If I had used Odom's ICND1 and 2 books, I doubt i'd have passed on either occasions. Now i know his books are popular but his methods just didn't agree with me. I hold no love for Cisco press or Mr Odom.

Can you tell me more about the Chris Bryant and Aaron B guides?
  • carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was the same way, about 5 chapters into odoms book I put it down and picked up a byrant study guide and Todd Lammle's book.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bcall64 wrote: »
    Can you tell me more about the Chris Bryant and Aaron B guides?

Chris Bryant's website is here CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT

As well as being the trainer for the CCNA trainsignal series he released an all in one pdf guide for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams. The pdf guides cost a cheap $25 and it explains all the topics including loads of subnetting practice questions.Its so much more easier to read than some other books out there. A lot of what is in these guides does mirror the trainsignal series as I think Chris must have used these guides while he worked through the vids.

Aaron B's guides can be found here Router Alley - Guides
    I rate them very highly because he explains things clearly and doesn't beat around the bush.

If anyone's studying for the ICND1 I would also recommend the Dummies Guide which is an absolute beauty of a read and gives some nice lab examples.

I personally believe if more people ditched Odom's books especially for the ICND2 they'd probably have a much easier time of it. When I say easy I don't mean a shortcut but its more to do with a better understanding of stuff.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Chris Bryant's website is here CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT

As well as being the trainer for the CCNA trainsignal series he released an all in one pdf guide for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams. The pdf guides cost a cheap $25 and it explains all the topics including loads of subnetting practice questions.Its so much more easier to read than some other books out there. A lot of what is in these guides does mirror the trainsignal series as I think Chris must have used these guides while he worked through the vids.

Aaron B's guides can be found here Router Alley - Guides
    I rate them very highly because he explains things clearly and doesn't beat around the bush.

If anyone's studying for the ICND1 I would also recommend the Dummies Guide which is an absolute beauty of a read and gives some nice lab examples.

I personally believe if more people ditched Odom's books especially for the ICND2 they'd probably have a much easier time of it. When I say easy I don't mean a shortcut but its more to do with a better understanding of stuff.

Thanks that really helps. I think I try and spend too much time absorbing all the detail in Odom's books and I get burnt out. I just want an in-depth understanding but don't want to read 40 pages about one protocol when it can be explained in 10-15 pages.