Windows 8

Anyone else using the Developer Preview? I rather like it so far and it's not a big leap from Vista or Windows 7 in most regards with far better performance. I'm really looking forward to testing the next preview release on Trinity and Ivy Bridge hardware as they are supposed to bring significant performance increases with the new kernel in Windows 8.

Comments

• ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Used it didn't like the metro interface maybe it will grow on me, I didn't really notice much of a change apart from this to be quite honest.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Used it didn't like the metro interface maybe it will grow on me, I didn't really notice much of a change apart from this to be quite honest.

You gotta kick the Metro interface through the registry hack that disables it. Once you do that, you'll feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside and you'll be right at home with the OS as it will feel like Windows 7 but a bit better and faster. I've tested a lot of stuff on the DP and it works surprisingly well once you kick Metro to the curb.
    Do you have it running as your main O/S or can you run it virtually, I will have to take a look at it again unless there is another beta / alpha out soon?

ally_uk wrote: »
    Do you have it running as your main O/S or can you run it virtually, I will have to take a look at it again unless there is another beta / alpha out soon?

I'm going hardcore and running it as my main OS on my desktop (on an SSD that I bought). It functions perfectly once you can Metro. There is going to be a new version released this month according to what has been said so you should definitely give it a try as it will have far more features than the Developer Preview that I'm running.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I installed it in a VM and feel that it's meant ONLY for tablets... Didn't so much care for it on a desktop ESPECIALLY when none of the freakin icons work on the tablet homepage!!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • SubnetZeroSubnetZero Member Posts: 124
    Going to install it this weekend, thanks for reminding me! For everyone else here is the link:

Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads

Cheers!

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, several electrons were severely inconvenienced
    :cool:
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SubnetZero wrote: »
    Going to install it this weekend, thanks for reminding me! For everyone else here is the link:

Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads

Cheers!

Thanks! I've been wanting to try it and keep forgetting.
    Went hardcore installed it as the main O/S on my I7 laptop, disabled the metro UI don't really notice anything new just looks like Windows 7 to me apart from firefox crashes all the time when I use youtube lol

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It will have some long awaited features. Much of which, have been solved via 3rd party software. Ultimately, though...I don't see businesses paying another $130 per license for this except in very limited uses.

The whole betting on hardware that will take advantage of Windows 8/vice versa is just baloney.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think Windows 8 will be a big flop. Everything with the GUI has changed so radically. It'll be a disaster in enterprise/office environments. Businesses just recently got through upgrade cycles with Windows 7/Office 2010 and the users are still adapting. Not to mention that even the techs would have to relearn the interface.

I used Windows 8 for a few weeks to get an idea and found disabling Metro made it feel a heck of a lot better, but it's still not as streamlined as Windows 7, and it never will be. It's just not a good desktop OS. I'm not sure it'd even be a good tablet OS.

I would love to see them use Metro in their Server line. That would be fun to watch (sorry Windows admins ;))
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I installed it in a VM and feel that it's meant ONLY for tablets... Didn't so much care for it on a desktop ESPECIALLY when none of the freakin icons work on the tablet homepage!!

The icons work just fine for me after lowering the screen resolution. Don't remember what resolution I had to make it before they started working and I don't have that laptop in front of me.
  • longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Man you just answered my question.
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
    Keep in mind that the first Beta is going to be released in the next three weeks and it will be a lot different than the Developer Preview which is mostly built on Windows 7.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Keep in mind that the first Beta is going to be released in the next three weeks and it will be a lot different than the Developer Preview which is mostly built on Windows 7.

Yeah, you're a little behind on the OP, Developer Preview has been out for months now. Can't wait for the Beta. Although very soon I should not have to wait for any MS betas. icon_cool.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've tried it, and I have mixed feelings about it. It's only beta so who knows what it is actually going to look/feel like. I will say that it boots quickly, but then again so did Vista in beta icon_lol.gif
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    but then again so did Vista in beta icon_lol.gif

<Metallica>
    Sad but true
    </obvious>

:D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »

I did the same thing with an earlier build and this was my same opinion. I think it would be much more interesting to test it out on a tablet than on a PC, because it really feels built for a tablet anyway, (at least the Metro interface does).

I'm not a big fan of Microsoft continuing their monopoly, but if they can make an OS that lets tablets do the same things that can be done on a PC/laptop then I'd be very much interested in a tablet running Windows 8. Right now I still consider most tablets to be overpriced e-readers with little true productive uses. Hopefully Microsoft can bring some maturity to the tablet market.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

I literally "LOL'd" seeing the Steve Ballmer sith lightning hands pic at the top of that article.
    Everyone wrote: »
    Yeah, you're a little behind on the OP, Developer Preview has been out for months now. Can't wait for the Beta. Although very soon I should not have to wait for any MS betas. icon_cool.gif

I have been using the DP since the day it was available so I'm definitely not behind on anything. Nobody has been talking about it and since the Public Beta is about to be released, I figured I'd make a thread. That's all.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone wrote: »
    I literally "LOL'd" seeing the Steve Ballmer sith lightning hands pic at the top of that article.

I really don't care what the article actually says... I just posted it for that pic.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have been using the DP since the day it was available so I'm definitely not behind on anything. Nobody has been talking about it and since the Public Beta is about to be released, I figured I'd make a thread. That's all.

There have been at lest 3 threads, more if you count chat regarding Win 8 Server.
    There have been at lest 3 threads, more if you count chat regarding Win 8 Server.

And from what I saw, those are from last year with only a few posts and no real discussion, hence nobody is talking about it.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Track record isn't great -- Windows 8 - AnonGallery - Welcome to the Internet

How would you bet? ;)