Homemade network rack

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
Just looking for ideas for a DIY network rack. I've outgrown the one I have now (12u). Looking to build a new one rather than fork out a couple hundred dollars. Pictures greatly appreciated :D
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    There you go!

medium_lettertrays.jpg

I was thinking of something a little bigger icon_wink.gif. That's very resourceful though, thank you.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

It scares me how cheap these are... can they really withstand the weight of say, 15-16 routers and switches?

4_lom wrote: »
    It scares me how cheap these are... can they really withstand the weight of say, 15-16 routers and switches?

The Lackrack's

• terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a few lack side tables and the one thing you have to be careful of now is some of the legs are actually hollow so you won't have much support for devices mounted to the front.

You would probably be better off building something from 2x4's, for some reason I wouldn't trust some paper/woodchips/glue to hold more than a few pieces of equipment :).
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Check craigslist, I've seen some used racks that looked to be in pretty good shape go for pretty cheap on there, at least in my area (i.e. I'd pick it up myself, not have it shipped).

Still kicking myself for not taking home an old rack when I had a chance. I've had 2 jobs where I had to throw out some old racks while cleaning out the data center. Some were never used and still in brand new condition. All were 48U. Didn't know where I'd put one at the time, or if I'd even use it. Now I could use it and don't have it. icon_sad.gif
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I wondered how the lackrack would hold up to 3550's, those things are pretty hefty.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you will be disappointed by anything homemade. I would just get the real deal. Check Craigslist and eBay for ones that will allow free pickup.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Have a welder or access to one and a chop saw? With the proper tools, a person could whip one up out of angle iron in a couple hours. The longest part would be waiting for the paint to dry.
  • drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Skeletek

I paid about $89 + ship off ebay
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Just looking for ideas for a DIY network rack. I've outgrown the one I have now (12u). Looking to build a new one rather than fork out a couple hundred dollars. Pictures greatly appreciated :D

Government surplus auction sites are always liquidating professional-grade racks. You can get them for nothing.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Contact local datacentres. I actually rescued an old rack due for the rubbish tip while working a contract. I was advised I could have it and although a little bent out of shape it happily provided a good rack for my routers at home for a couple of years. It has since been finally taken to the rubbish tip when I moved house and all the gear went into longterm storage. The gear has been setup again stacked on a solid table and seems to be bareing up rather well.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm liking those Skeletek racks for my purposes. :D
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I'm liking those Skeletek racks for my purposes. :D

Mine have served me well. They are sturdy and affordable and come with hardware (no rack ears though).
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    i have a skeletek C12U model and it is fabulous. Takes a bit of floor space, but it is heavy and sturdy.
    nerdydad wrote: »
    I wondered how the lackrack would hold up to 3550's, those things are pretty hefty.

Thats what I'm talking about. I have 3 3550's in my lab. I just don't feel like those cheap tables would be able to hold all of that weight.

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thats what I'm talking about. I have 3 3550's in my lab. I just don't feel like those cheap tables would be able to hold all of that weight.

I just go for a nice solid table and stack everything neatly on top. Make sure you have airflow and dress the cabling tidy and it's all good.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    At Lowes/Home Depot, you can get flat steel rods wi/holes in it (can't think of what the common name is). It's commonly used for hanging garage door openers (how I found out about it. Since it has holes, you can bolt it up in whatever configuration you need.

very similar to this (except you can get whatever size/gauge you need.) Shop Wayne-Dalton 30-1/4"W x 2"H Back Hanger Kit at Lowes.com
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed