Options

Home Traning for Certs

dcutbi001dcutbi001 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! I'm a lurker posting for the first time, so please bear with me.

I've done a decent amount of reading of the boards over the last month or so in an attempt to discern the best approach for breaking into the IT world. I'm 34 and a part-time student (online) and a stay at home father, so my situation is somewhat unique compared to most of the posts I've been following. Nonetheless, there has been a ton of good information I've picked up along the way.

But... here is my dilemma, I've worked for the last 14-16 years of my life but I'm just now starting college. I don't have a degree and I still have 2/3 of the way to go to achieve an associates. However, I have worked in sales for HP, been a retail technician for Sprint and a call center technician for Verizon and that is about the extent of my working experience in any technical sense (although technically I did build OEM workstations for Compaq when I was 18, but it was so long ago I don't list it.) The mainstay of my work experience has been in sales, and now I want to change that. My objective now is to steer my career path into IT. I am a technically minded person and have been building PC's and troubleshooting PC's for friends and family for years, and when I look at the mock A+ cert tests I feel like I already know roughly 70% of whats on it.

So here is where I ask for the advice from you guys! My time as a stay at home father has run its course (it's been a year now), it's time for me to try and find work. Since I'm still making progress in school (with a ways to go), I've decided to start accumulating certs. I've already decided to go for the A+ and the Net+ certs. Money is tight but through help from family I can afford to do one more cert in addition to the first two. I've seen the debates over the Cisco,vs Security+, vs Microsoft certs (Linux as well), but I'm still left scratching my head as to which way to go.

To clarify one thing, everyone says to take the path that interests you the most, but frankly I'm interested in almost all of it. So, based on the fact that my first priority is to help provide for my family, I want to do what makes me the most marketable. I've looked on job boards and was left just as unsure. I realize there is no "golden ticket" into an IT career, but based on the experience of many if you I would be crazy not to consider your advice.

One last thing, since my schedule can be erratic, between my daughter, school, and the rest of my life, I'm considering using an online training program from TrainSignal - Computer Training Videos - Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, CompTIA & more!. They claim to be the only online training site backed by CompTia, any advice here?

Sorry for the length, but since I could not find threads that encompassed all the separate hurdles I'm trying to overcome I figured I'd throw this out there and see what advice came my way. My sincere thanks for any advice provided!

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would list the experience building OEM workstations. It shows experience.

Value of Net+ is debatable. Especially now that it expires every 3 years. There are entry level positions that require Net+, so you'll need to do some research on what's available in your area. An alternative to Net+ is CCENT. CCENT covers Net+ material, some Cisco IOS and gets you half way to CCNA. Major drawback to CCENT is name recognition. Cisco haven't pushed this cert so its virtually unknown.

Sec+ can be valuable because it meets DoD requirement.

I've watched Trainsignal videos (very good), but haven't tried their online training so can't comment.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    One more quick question!

I stumbled across this as well.Testout Product Bundles these bundles seem to be pretty good value, I just wonder how they compare to the Train Signal or CBT nuggets stuff that everyone else seems to prefer?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd recommend studying A+, Net+ and Sec+ if you have the money for the vouchers. These three exams will give you a solid foundation.

As far as your specialization, I'd say dabble with Linux and Microsoft evaluation copies in Virtual Box. And try out GNS3 for exposure to IOS.

As you gather the Comptia trifecta and possibly move to another area if studying, whatever vendor exams you move to may recertify your Comptia exams (like CCNA).

And since Techexam seems to be a huge advocate of WGU, there is always that option, especially since you may have the time. This will give you school and most of the foundational certs.
  • Options
    I'd recommend studying A+, Net+ and Sec+ if you have the money for the vouchers. These three exams will give you a solid foundation.

As far as your specialization, I'd say dabble with Linux and Microsoft evaluation copies in Virtual Box. And try out GNS3 for exposure to IOS.

As you gather the Comptia trifecta and possibly move to another area if studying, whatever vendor exams you move to may recertify your Comptia exams (like CCNA).

And since Techexam seems to be a huge advocate of WGU, there is always that option, especially since you may have the time. This will give you school and most of the foundational certs.

Thanks for the replies so far, I know you guys get these questions reworded over and over again.

As far as the CCNA exam goes, I did not know it would recert you in any of the CompTia stuff, N+ I'm guessing?

You mentioned WGU, which I've lightly read about, and it could be a good option but there could be a couple of road-bumps there.

1) I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to start working whether it's an IT job or not.
    -and-
    2) I don't think I qualify to join. I suppose I could contact them for clarification but based on the requirements I saw another member post I think I probably fall short.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dcutbi001 wrote: »
    Hello all! I'm a lurker posting for the first time, so please bear with me.

I've done a decent amount of reading of the boards over the last month or so in an attempt to discern the best approach for breaking into the IT world. I'm 34 and a part-time student (online) and a stay at home father, so my situation is somewhat unique compared to most of the posts I've been following. Nonetheless, there has been a ton of good information I've picked up along the way.

But... here is my dilemma, I've worked for the last 14-16 years of my life but I'm just now starting college. I don't have a degree and I still have 2/3 of the way to go to achieve an associates. However, I have worked in sales for HP, been a retail technician for Sprint and a call center technician for Verizon and that is about the extent of my working experience in any technical sense (although technically I did build OEM workstations for Compaq when I was 18, but it was so long ago I don't list it.) The mainstay of my work experience has been in sales, and now I want to change that. My objective now is to steer my career path into IT. I am a technically minded person and have been building PC's and troubleshooting PC's for friends and family for years, and when I look at the mock A+ cert tests I feel like I already know roughly 70% of whats on it.

So here is where I ask for the advice from you guys! My time as a stay at home father has run its course (it's been a year now), it's time for me to try and find work. Since I'm still making progress in school (with a ways to go), I've decided to start accumulating certs. I've already decided to go for the A+ and the Net+ certs. Money is tight but through help from family I can afford to do one more cert in addition to the first two. I've seen the debates over the Cisco,vs Security+, vs Microsoft certs (Linux as well), but I'm still left scratching my head as to which way to go.

To clarify one thing, everyone says to take the path that interests you the most, but frankly I'm interested in almost all of it. So, based on the fact that my first priority is to help provide for my family, I want to do what makes me the most marketable. I've looked on job boards and was left just as unsure. I realize there is no "golden ticket" into an IT career, but based on the experience of many if you I would be crazy not to consider your advice.

One last thing, since my schedule can be erratic, between my daughter, school, and the rest of my life, I'm considering using an online training program from TrainSignal - Computer Training Videos - Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, CompTIA & more!. They claim to be the only online training site backed by CompTia, any advice here?

Sorry for the length, but since I could not find threads that encompassed all the separate hurdles I'm trying to overcome I figured I'd throw this out there and see what advice came my way. My sincere thanks for any advice provided!

In short, and to simplify things, you'll have 2 paths you can follow:

Networking - Configuration of LAN, WAN, routers and switches (Best bet is CISCO)
    Server/Client - Windows 7, Server, Exchange, then virtualization, etc. It is a good idea to have some networkign experience to follow this path at a more advanced level.

You really need to decide what path you want to go. The future is hard to predict, but "Cloud" is coming and that will change IT, requiring less Desktop techs and more VM guys. Networking has a huge future. The entire world is wired and we're about to go to IPv6. It won't be long until houses, cars, etc require IP connections. This will create a huge market for networking techs

Now, keep in mind, the software/server side of things is much less "dry" when you learn it. Networking can be mathematical and rather dry, so if that's not your thing..don't do it.

Most important is that you are passionate about what you do, and continuously educate yourself. I started in IT in 1999 and for every passionate dude, there are another 5 guys that just float. But, on that note, this is a tough gig and requires you to constantly read & forever update yourself. Reading books and school will become a lifelong thing.