10 tech skills becoming extinct

ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
10 Tech Skills Heading the Way of the Dinosaur - 2012 Edition

I hate reading stuff like this. I have spent the past 5 years in school to learn networking along with my own self study and I have been working in the field now for 2 years. I am in the process of getting my CCNP as well. Then you read something like this. Does everybody think that network administrators are on the way out? I sure hope not I have way to much invested. I understand that mobile devices are going to take over but come on they have to connect somehow people. And lets not forget about data centers. Do they magically connect themselves. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Somebody please reaffirm me that I am doing the right thing. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Companies will always need connectivity. You have to take the article with a grain of salt. On the one hand it says subnetting isnt going to be a valued skill. On the other it mentions that many network geeks don't know how to subnet today. Put two and two together - subnetting is, largely, a non-issue for most employers, and the author of the article is just talking to fill the space.

The rest of it is basically saying your specialized skills are becoming obsolete. Two of the bullet points (flash and silverlight) are basically the same issue - learn to use HTML5 instead.

All told, the entire article is an exercise in the obvious. It's saying that in the IT world you need to keep up, and adapt or die.

Were any of you seriously under the illusion that you could learn one tech skill and be set for life?
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Gave me a good laugh, because all there is to networking is subnetting.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some of those made a lot of sense.

Windows 2000 and older. LOL

Funny thing about COBOL is my mother who is in her late 50's still gets offers at ~100,000 USB a year for project work ranging from 6 months to 2 years. She fine where she is at and enjoys dealing with the mainframe databases and now some C# development and oracle reporting, but I just think it's crazy that they still want to pay her that coin to maintain COBOL code.
  • longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow and I thought COBOL was one of languages for the backbone of programming. guess not
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Random fact: Randy Muller was my trainer for Lync 2010 a couple of months ago.

The article is basically a rehash of last year's: Global Knowledge Training Blog » 10 Tech Skills Heading the Way of the Dinosaur
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...All told, the entire article is an exercise in the obvious. It's saying that in the IT world you need to keep up, and adapt or die.

Were any of you seriously under the illusion that you could learn one tech skill and be set for life?

Agreed,

No programmer I am aware of knows only one language unless they're absolutely new to programming.
    They may be fluent in a single only if there is the shear volume of work that they get which requires using one particular language.

I also lol-ed at the network section.

The Computer Hardware section is also lol-able.
    Maybe it doesn't make sense for a company to hire dedicated hardware support staff, but how many of us want to work with someone who knows nothing about PC hardware?
    This is more of a basic skill in technology , not an obsolete one.

It's like typing, you won't see "typing" explicitly listed on a job description for a programmer.
    If you do and a wpm speed then thats just silly, i don't think there really is a correlation between wpm count and your programming skills.
    There is the strong possibility that someone can quickly type up an awful piece of code a lot faster than a good script.
    It's sorta assumed that if your a programmer typing is a basic skill.

I don't think that article is meant for tech professionals.
    Maybe for recruiters or HR , someone with a technical vocabulary but doesn't work in the technology.
    Or maybe as a general guideline for someone looking to break into the industry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Some of those made a lot of sense.

Windows 2000 and older. LOL

Funny thing about COBOL is my mother who is in her late 50's still gets offers at ~100,000 USB a year for project work ranging from 6 months to 2 years. She fine where she is at and enjoys dealing with the mainframe databases and now some C# development and oracle reporting, but I just think it's crazy that they still want to pay her that coin to maintain COBOL code.

Is being paid in USB like being paid in Trident Layers? ;)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Shanman wrote: »
    10 Tech Skills Heading the Way of the Dinosaur - 2012 Edition

I hate reading stuff like this. I have spent the past 5 years in school to learn networking along with my own self study and I have been working in the field now for 2 years. I am in the process of getting my CCNP as well. Then you read something like this. Does everybody think that network administrators are on the way out? I sure hope not I have way to much invested. I understand that mobile devices are going to take over but come on they have to connect somehow people. And lets not forget about data centers. Do they magically connect themselves. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Somebody please reaffirm me that I am doing the right thing. icon_sad.gif

Always a bit of fun with these. But the trick is always missed. Not that tech skills become redundant and that we need to keep up, which they do, but that we need to also be aware of the less technical aspects of commercial life. Nobody on TE pays for a single piece of equipment they support or design for. Figure out why it's there and what you need it for to help the company succeed, or someone else will.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can see many of these software related topics being true, as for the networking portion, i agree with them even thought this is old news (IPv4 to IPv6). They aren't really specifying anything major for the networking portion, they just put "NETWORKING" to generalize the topic to pull in readers.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I think there will always be execs and VPs who want personal assistance with their systems. There will always be a need for in person software and hardware support (especially hardware), but virtualization, thin clients, etc will slowly reduce teams.

Interesting article though!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    longhorn79 wrote: »
    Wow and I thought COBOL was one of languages for the backbone of programming. guess not

What's truly sad is that I still have all of my COBOL and RPG books and can still write code using it if I have to.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Always a bit of fun with these. But the trick is always missed. Not that tech skills become redundant and that we need to keep up, which they do, but that we need to also be aware of the less technical aspects of commercial life. Nobody on TE pays for a single piece of equipment they support or design for. Figure out why it's there and what you need it for to help the company succeed, or someone else will.

Very insightful Turgon! I didn't think about it that way.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!