Options

A+ down, what next?

Hello all,

provided I pass my 220-702 next Monday, I will have my A+. My next question after this is: what cert should I do next?

I want to go into server/system administration and network engineering, so here are my options:

-Start chipping away at the Microsoft certs
-Network +
-Start chipping away at the CCNA/CCENT

What's your opinion? I was thinking Network +, though I don't know how relevant/useful it is. CCNA is probably too big an undertaking, since you need hardware to work with and it would be a big area to self study. I'm thinking either Microsoft certs and/or my Network+. What do you guys think?

Note: going to college/university for an IT related degree is out atm, I am in university pursuing a non IT related degree in order to keep my options open.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You don't need hardware for CCENT/CCNA. A simulator will work. CCENT is more about learning the basics of networking (i.e. OSI model, DoD model, ARP, RARP, TCP/IP packets, subnetting, etc).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    dave330i wrote: »
    You don't need hardware for CCENT/CCNA. A simulator will work. CCENT is more about learning the basics of networking (i.e. OSI model, DoD model, ARP, RARP, TCP/IP packets, subnetting, etc).

Is that what you suggest I do?
  • Options
    535irob535irob Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did Network+ years ago when I first started getting certs. It lays a good foundation IMO for general aspects of what is going on and how things work in the network world, and gives general ideas about ALL network gear not just Cisco. CCENT covers this as well but is geared more towards Cisco world.

I am glad I did Network+ when I did. The order I went ( if I remember right ) was A+, MS 70-270, Network +, then servers and all the others..

I was working at a smaller shop at the time and cisco gear was few and far between. The Network+ helped me more at that time. But as you grow in the IT field you will see that Servers and Networking are two different animals. A foundation of the two is good to have but I would decide where you want to end up and work in that direction. Generally speaking, Server guys don't do networks and network guys don't do servers..again depends on the size of the company.. .
  • Options
    535irob wrote: »
    I did Network+ years ago when I first started getting certs. It lays a good foundation IMO for general aspects of what is going on and how things work in the network world, and gives general ideas about ALL network gear not just Cisco. CCENT covers this as well but is geared more towards Cisco world.

I am glad I did Network+ when I did. The order I went ( if I remember right ) was A+, MS 70-270, Network +, then servers and all the others..

I was working at a smaller shop at the time and cisco gear was few and far between. The Network+ helped me more at that time. But as you grow in the IT field you will see that Servers and Networking are two different animals. A foundation of the two is good to have but I would decide where you want to end up and work in that direction. Generally speaking, Server guys don't do networks and network guys don't do servers..again depends on the size of the company.. .

I actually did not know that. I am more interested in servers, but I heard you need experience with them to do the MCITP exams. Decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually did not know that. I am more interested in servers, but I heard you need experience with them to do the MCITP exams. Decisions, decisions.

You can use VMs to study for the MCITP. There is no way to pass a MS exam without hands on experience with Windows 2008, and the same is truth for Cisco exams.
  • Options
    You can use VMs to study for the MCITP. There is no way to pass a MS exam without hands on experience with Windows 2008, and the same is truth for Cisco exams.

Is there a guide somewhere for studying for the MCITP exams using VMs. I know how to use a Virtual Machine for things like XP, Vista, 7 (I do that on my Mac), but for Server 2008?

Sorry for the noob questions.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is there a guide somewhere for studying for the MCITP exams using VMs. I know how to use a Virtual Machine for things like XP, Vista, 7 (I do that on my Mac), but for Server 2008?

Sorry for the noob questions.

It's not all that different, and the Microsoft books walk you through the installation on Microsoft's Virtual PC. If you search through the forum I'm sure someone has been walked through the installation methods before. Virtual Box is another great choice and is well documented.

Noob problems don't bother us. We have all been there before.
  • Options
    It's not all that different, and the Microsoft books walk you through the installation on Microsoft's Virtual PC. If you search through the forum I'm sure someone has been walked through the installation methods before. Virtual Box is another great choice and is well documented.

Noob problems don't bother us. We have all been there before.

Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate it. :D
  • Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Novalith478,

If I were you I would properly go for the Network+ then move onto Microsoft or Cisco certs.

Maybe this will help: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png

Regards

Rob
  • Options
    Kopite_21 wrote: »
    Hi Novalith478,

If I were you I would properly go for the Network+ then move onto Microsoft or Cisco certs.

Maybe this will help: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png

Regards

Rob

That is actually brilliant. Thanks a ton! :D
  • Options
    Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Forget the MCDST route though as it has retired.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

provided I pass my 220-702 next Monday, I will have my A+. My next question after this is: what cert should I do next?

I want to go into server/system administration and network engineering, so here are my options:

-Start chipping away at the Microsoft certs
    -Network +
    -Start chipping away at the CCNA/CCENT

What's your opinion? I was thinking Network +, though I don't know how relevant/useful it is. CCNA is probably too big an undertaking, since you need hardware to work with and it would be a big area to self study. I'm thinking either Microsoft certs and/or my Network+. What do you guys think?

Note: going to college/university for an IT related degree is out atm, I am in university pursuing a non IT related degree in order to keep my options open.

I would suggest you look at some Windows 7 certifications, specifically the 685 exam. Having your A+ and a Windows exam is going to let you get into a Service Desk and then Desktop Support Role. Spend 2-3 years in that role to really get a grasp on it. Once you've completed your Windows 7 exams, then you could look at Network+.
  • Options
    antielvis wrote: »
    I would suggest you look at some Windows 7 certifications, specifically the 685 exam. Having your A+ and a Windows exam is going to let you get into a Service Desk and then Desktop Support Role. Spend 2-3 years in that role to really get a grasp on it. Once you've completed your Windows 7 exams, then you could look at Network+.

Thanks, noted.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    go n+ then ccent. that my current plan.
  • Options
    pruspeter wrote: »
    go n+ then ccent. that my current plan.

I will most like go for Microsoft certs after my N+.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the CCENT would be nice one to get. MCTS Windows 7 would be another good one. I even like the thought of getting an intro server MS certification or Linux like Linux +.

Don't get wrapped up in this one standard template of certifications. Customize the course ware to your needs and wants. If you like Linux do Linux, or networking do networking first. Don't do something because other people tell you, that's the biggest piece of advice I can give you. Ultimately it comes down can you deliver or not.