Options

Certification route question

descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all. I started a new IT job a couple months back for a decent sized organization. It is a jack-of-all-trades type of job. We are basically the remote hands on team for the network and server engineers here. I would say it's almost like a help desk job, except we have a different department that handles those duties.

Anyways, I currently have CCNA, Network+, Security+, and the A+ certs. There is a lot of different routes here for advancement as there are Linux, Server, Network, and Database engineer groups. I eventually want to work my way into one of those positions down the road but it all is based on what/when a position opens up obviously.

My dilemma is which route I should be studying for when it comes to certs. The obvious choice would be to keep with the network route and continue with CCNA:S and the like. But that limits me to if/when a network engineer position opens up down the road.

I'm wondering if I should broaden my horizons a little and go a different route for now or stick with that? Keep in mind this could be years down the road whenever a position opens up again in any of these departments; and I am fine with that.

Thanks in advance for even reading this.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Also consider the possibility of certs helping you to leave your present place of business and find better work elsewhere.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Also consider the possibility of certs helping you to leave your present place of business and find better work elsewhere.

True, true. Although I do love where I currently work.
  • Options
    simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You didn't really tell us what you enjoy doing. Pick your path based upon what you enjoy doing, not what route you think will open up for you first. Do what you love. If that isn't networking, don't worry about networking being the easiest progression. That's a sunk cost.
  • Options
    simonmoon wrote: »
    You didn't really tell us what you enjoy doing. Pick your path based upon what you enjoy doing, not what route you think will open up for you first. Do what you love. If that isn't networking, don't worry about networking being the easiest progression. That's a sunk cost.

That's the thing, I don't believe I've seen enough of the other options like the Microsoft route with servers, SQL, Linux, etc to know for sure what I like best. I do enjoy the networking side of things, however I don't get any hands on in my department with configurations of the switches; and we don't touch the routers whatsoever. I guess I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go after a couple low level certs in any of those routes to see if I enjoy those more. Sorry if this sounds confusing.