Most effective way to delete stubborn files?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I usually go into the cmd prompt and delete from there, but I was wondering if there were utilities out there for help desk or entry level folk to delete files from a Windows operating system?

Sometimes you get those goofy temp error or other files that don't want to delete within the parameters of the operating systems gui.

Just curious

Thanks

Comments

• ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't had that problem with newer OS's, but occasionally XP would do that to me (or someone else).
    I used an Ubuntu live disc. Booted up with that and deleted those pesky files!

There probably is a better way, but that always worked for me.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unlocker is the first program that comes to mind.

Attaching the drive to another system or booting into a Win PE or Linux Live CD environment also works, but obviously reboots aren't always practical.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LockHunter sometimes works on some systems where unlocker is not well supported which I think is some or all 64 bit Windows OS'.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Unlocker is the first program that comes to mind.

Attaching the drive to another system or booting into a Win PE or Linux Live CD environment also works, but obviously reboots aren't always practical.

Unlocker works pretty well for me.

I think Ccleaner also has a file deletion component
  • qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Killbox is what I use
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SDelete is a good way to get rid of something for good. You can DL it from here: SDelete
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    file assassin component of malware bytes and that doesn't do it killbox.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 to Unlocker awesome piece of software. also hold down SHIFT when deleting a file but this will PERM delete hte file so make extra sure you want to delete the file first :)
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Unlocker.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging