Learning Python

ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
I'm interested in learning a scripting language and I've heard that Python is relatively easier to learn/use and is extremely useful in networking. Does anyone have any recommendations on any books/guides that are non-programmer friendly? Any thoughts on Python vs. other scripting languages?
:study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA

Comments

• anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you could get started with Python - Notes from Swaroop. it is a friendly introduction to the subject.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Learn Python the Hard Way

Also learn to use Django with it. Our engineering team uses Python and Django here at work with great results.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Learn Python the Hard Way

Also learn to use Django with it. Our engineering team uses Python and Django here at work with great results.

This is also offered as a course through Udemy, here. It's the book with labs and lectures. I picked up the course on sale, but haven't had time to move beyond the first lessons. They were quite simple (setting things up, etc.). He has added new content to the course in the last few months including a crash course for the command line and a few other things. The course is loosely assembled, but good if your motivated to learn and looking for an inexpensive self paced introduction.

HTH.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you could also check out Software Carpentry » Python. it comes with videos and slides
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Is the video courses downloadable?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, I'm up to Excercise 17 in LPTHW and have been struggling through the extra credit. Does anyone know if this is going to start coming easier or if I'm doomed to never understand programming?
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    xmalachi wrote: »
    So, I'm up to Excercise 17 in LPTHW and have been struggling through the extra credit. Does anyone know if this is going to start coming easier or if I'm doomed to never understand programming?

I would imagine it will get easier. This is "Learn Python the Hard Way" right? What's proving difficult?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    onesaint wrote: »
    I would imagine it will get easier. This is "Learn Python the Hard Way" right? What's proving difficult?

I think it is just little things the he doesn't go into detail on. I'm sure he is just trying to lay groundwork and get your comfortable with writing code. I understand variables, methods/functions, and the modules. I often get confused on what to use in what scenario. Mostly, when he has you attempt to complete extra credit I get the answer about 80% and then I have to look up what I was missing. If I run into any examples from here on out I'll be sure to post it up and seek guidance.
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in learning a scripting language

I'm only going to read what I want to read in your post :)

I recommend learning Powershell, Powershell has its cmdlets everywhere: Windows, VMware, Cisco, Citrix, and the list keeps growing. The syntax is easy to handle, and you can have very short script with powerful results, or access the .NET Framework and really pull off some powerful scripts.

I definitely don't have a programmer's background, and I still have been able to write some useful scripts.

Check out Amazon.com: Windows PowerShell 2.0 (978098213142icon_cool.gif: Don Jones, Jeffery Hicks: Books for a physical book (Wish they had a kindle version). A very good kindle book is Amazon.com: Windows PowerShell Cookbook: The Complete Guide to Scripting Microsoft's New Command Shell eBook: Lee Holmes: Kindle Store

I would also check out powershell.com, they have some free tutorials. There are also videos at Trainsignal.com.