Options

EIGRP in the real world

jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been working in networking in various capacities for the last 9 years and not once have I seen EIGRP (or RIP for that matter) in the wild. Anyone out there use these protocols regularly??

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Funny you ask. Monday is my last day with my current employer, and just yesterday I had to explain to "the outsourcee(s)" why we are using BGP, OSPF, RIP and two different instances of EIGRP. So yes, this company is using it, but not in the way I would like.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    jude56g wrote: »
    I have been working in networking in various capacities for the last 9 years and not once have I seen EIGRP (or RIP for that matter) in the wild. Anyone out there use these protocols regularly??

Most experienced network engineers will shy away from proprietary protocols when the network is composed of gear from multiple vendors. If you're vendor locked to just Cisco gear, there's no problem with EIGRP, it's a very robust and fairly easy protocol.

However, when you've got a mix of vendor gear, if you want to use EIGRP with your Cisco gear, you can, but in order for routes to be shared with other vendors gear, you have to do route redistribution. This adds points of complexity and points of failure to the network, which is generally not a good idea to do on purpose. It's one thing to start a network with EIGRP because you have all Cisco gear, and then you grow and scale and start tossing in things like Junipers. In those cases, redesigning your IGP to run OSPF or ISIS or RIP everywhere is generally not going to be worth it, and then you'd introduce the redistribution points.

Designing a network from the ground up with redistribution points? You're insane, a glutton for punishment, or really hate the people who have to work with or succeed you.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    EIGRP is used quite often it depends on what environment you are in. When I do small designs 20-30 sites over MPLS I usually use EIGRP at the HQ or large branch site for the LAN. Works really well just turn it on. I've seen it on larger wan segments and its usually broken into smaller segments then paired with BGP to route between the AS'es. EIGRP can scale to a pretty decent size. I would however choose OSPF/BGP over EIGRP/BGP.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options

Designing a network from the ground up with redistribution points? You're insane, a glutton for punishment, or really hate the people who have to work with or succeed you.

You would be shocked how often I see networks with Redistribution in the Design. Sometimes there is a vald reason for it(IE the LAN group is actually another activity and you don't want to run routing protocols so they send you statics and you redistribute them)

Other times, Its just because someone who's been there longer than you makes all the rules and thats how they roll cause its all they know.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I currently work for a VERY large corporation, and they use EIGRP exclusively. I was pretty shocked when I started, they also had the entire network go down once because of auto-summarization in EIGRP. Of course they use BGP as well, but the IGP is EIGRP.
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    You would be shocked how often I see networks with Redistribution in the Design. Sometimes there is a vald reason for it(IE the LAN group is actually another activity and you don't want to run routing protocols so they send you statics and you redistribute them)

Actually, I should probably clarify my stance - designing redistribution between routing protocols is insane, et al. Redistributing static and connected routes, along with liberal use of GRE tunnels, are the glue that holds many a network together :) That I really don't have a problem with. But designing EIGRP zones and OSPF zones and redistributing between them on purpose when you could have just used OSPF on both? Drives me batshit insane.

Other times, Its just because someone who's been there longer than you makes all the rules and thats how they roll cause its all they know.

Yup. It's like Gary Donahue says... networks design is influence by three things : politics, money, and the right way to do it - in that order. It's unfortunate when the only design justification used (or needed) is based on institutional inertia or the statement 'because I said so'
  • Options
    Don't even get me started on the politics and the right way to do it. We always have plenty of time to do it over instead of enough time to do it right the 1st time.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    If I had a dollar for how many times I have been told "we've always done it this way" I could retire. Politics is the main problem at most jobs I've had - the actual technical work is usually the easy part. And I always love how most technical decisions seem to be made by someone with little if any technical knowledge.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've only worked with EIGRP, so think how I feel. OSPF is a big confusing mess in comparison. I work at a hospital, the other two hospitals that are partnered with us run EIGRP, and another hospital that we just brought into our organization runs EIGRP also. I could ask, does anyone run OSPF? icon_cheers.gif
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget that EIGRP is cisco proprietary. Juniper, i've heard, puts out good equipment as well.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Working for an MSP I've got my hands in many different networks. The IGP is either EIGRP or OSPF and most of the larger ones run OSPF due to it being vendor nuetral. Only a handful of large ones with money spend are all Cisco EIGRP. Haven't seen RIP in production at all yet, as you would expect.

OSPF is all fun and games till someone puts 500+ WAN links of all different types in the same area... icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    OSPF is all fun and games till someone puts 500+ WAN links of all different types in the same area... icon_smile.gif

Sweet use of summarization!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options

That's really not that big of a deal, OSPF can scale pretty well. The only real issue is if you have links that flap all the time, causing SPF runs... then it's a big deal.

Now, if all 500 of those WAN links are redistributing a full BGP into OSPF.... sure, then you've got some fun times ahead.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I see mostly OSPF.

Funnily enough, a few years back I actually saw a client whose senior architect had designed the network from the ground up with several virtual links :/
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    That's really not that big of a deal, OSPF can scale pretty well. The only real issue is if you have links that flap all the time, causing SPF runs... then it's a big deal.

Yea, there is a bit of link flapping icon_sad.gif Some of the WAN link rely on DSL and EVDO (IPSec running over it) not the most stable technology out there. They should be in their own little area by themselves...
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Yea, there is a bit of link flapping icon_sad.gif Some of the WAN link rely on DSL and EVDO (IPSec running over it) not the most stable technology out there. They should be in their own little area by themselves...

Yeah, having those kinds of links in your backbone area is non intelligent design hehe. If possible those should be stubbed out, but isolated to their own area and summarized into the backbone if at all possible. But I suspect you already knew that, and it's that politics thing at work again
  • Options

This is asking for a disaster if more than too many links go down at one time and SPF starts to continuously calculate and the network never converges. True story. When I was working a WAN job they were doing there usual late night maintenance. When a Large fiber line cut overseas they lost a few links to core sites(one of the overseas sites had to be in area 0.0.0.0) and combined with the maintenance they were doing SPF kept running over and over, so the Whole US was kinda shut down from the combined maintenance and fiber cut. One the problem was Isolated they actually had so call someone overseas to go shut down the router OSPF recognized the link being down, recalculated SPF and everything was good.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what its worth, I just found out yesterday that we are moving to iBGP as our IGP in the majority of our network. I will get a lot of hands on with that so hopefully that will help when I get to ROUTE.